Mar 22, 2010, 2:46 PM EDT
Joe Mauer getting the Twins to fork over $184 million has the other top catchers in the American League dreaming about their next contracts.
Victor Martinez of the Red Sox is an impending free agent, so removing Mauer from next offseason’s catching market could have a huge impact on him. Alex Speier of WEEI.com speculates that “Mauer’s deal might create greater urgency” for Boston to lock Martinez up long term before he can even hit the open market.
Martinez naturally told Speier that Mauer “deserves every penny he got” while adding that the Red Sox know he’s willing to engage in contract talks before the season starts. However, he added that “nothing” has been initiated along those lines yet with just a couple weeks remaining before Opening Day.
A direct comparison is misleading because Mauer is clearly superior to Martinez both offensively and defensively in addition to being four years younger, but Martinez is definitely an elite catcher and has to be thinking that he’s one good, healthy season away from cashing in for at least half of that $184 million.
Oakland catcher Kurt Suzuki is thinking along those same lines, albeit jokingly, responding to news of Mauer’s huge contract by saying “I think I’m half as good as him” before correcting himself with “no, he’s not human.” Suzuki will be arbitration eligible next season and Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that “the A’s are expected to explore a multi-year deal soon.”
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 50
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 34
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 211
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 42
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (211)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (103)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)