Mar 22, 2010, 2:46 PM EDT
Joe Mauer getting the Twins to fork over $184 million has the other top catchers in the American League dreaming about their next contracts.
Victor Martinez of the Red Sox is an impending free agent, so removing Mauer from next offseason’s catching market could have a huge impact on him. Alex Speier of WEEI.com speculates that “Mauer’s deal might create greater urgency” for Boston to lock Martinez up long term before he can even hit the open market.
Martinez naturally told Speier that Mauer “deserves every penny he got” while adding that the Red Sox know he’s willing to engage in contract talks before the season starts. However, he added that “nothing” has been initiated along those lines yet with just a couple weeks remaining before Opening Day.
A direct comparison is misleading because Mauer is clearly superior to Martinez both offensively and defensively in addition to being four years younger, but Martinez is definitely an elite catcher and has to be thinking that he’s one good, healthy season away from cashing in for at least half of that $184 million.
Oakland catcher Kurt Suzuki is thinking along those same lines, albeit jokingly, responding to news of Mauer’s huge contract by saying “I think I’m half as good as him” before correcting himself with “no, he’s not human.” Suzuki will be arbitration eligible next season and Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that “the A’s are expected to explore a multi-year deal soon.”
- Triples Machine: After a decade in the minors Royals rookie Paulo Orlando is demolishing triples records 4
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 22
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 29
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 9
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 69
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 41
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (111)