Mar 22, 2010, 6:51 PM EDT
Update: The Reds announced that Chapman departed with lower back stiffness, a problem that had plagued him all week. Chapman was set to be examined after the game. The feeling is that this could knock him out of the competition for a rotation spot.
Aroldis Chapman left his appearance in his second inning of work Monday accompanied by the Reds’ trainer after laboring the Rockies.
Chapman, pitching in relief of Bronson Arroyo, had an easy sixth inning versus Colorado before struggling during a 30-pitch seventh inning. Throwing mostly offspeed pitches, he walked two and gave up four runs, all of which were unearned. His departure immediately followed a three-run double.
Given that the Reds wouldn’t have wanted to extend him too far in a single inning of work, Chapman might have been done then anyway. Still, it wasn’t a good sign that manager Dusty Baker, pitching coach Bryan Price and trainer Paul Lessard all went to the mound to see him, and Lessard joined him as he walked off the mound.
If Chapman is hurt, even if it’s a minor problem, then there’d seem to be little chance of him beginning the season in the Reds’ rotation. Matt Maloney and Justin Lehr would be the top candidates to replace him.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)