Mar 22, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT
It ain’t Kenny Lofton for David Justice and Marquis Grissom, but a spring training trade is always fun. Today’s version: the Rangers trade infielder Ray Olmedo to the Brewers for catcher Matt Treanor.
Matt Treanor is a backup catcher who can’t hit, and his presence in Texas is significant only insofar as (a) he’s, like, the fifth catcher the Rangers have traded for since everyone was talking about how much catching depth they had at the beginning of last year; and (b) he’s married to one half of what has been called “the greatest beach volleyball team of all time.” Misty May-Treanor once played volleyball with President Bush, who is the former owner of the Rangers, so I’m guessing the wheels started turning on this deal 15 years ago or so.
Olmedo is notable for being waived and outrighted to the minors more times than he has professional hits (estimated). Also: someone updated his Wikipedia page with this trade within five minutes of it being announced on Twitter, which means he probably has a very dedicated stalker out there somewhere, lurking.
Programming note: Given the heat this news is generating in blogosphere, it may take me a while to write the “What they’re saying about the Treanor-Olmedo” post. I mean, a man can only process so much analysis so fast.
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 28
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 45
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 48
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (101)