Mar 22, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT
It ain’t Kenny Lofton for David Justice and Marquis Grissom, but a spring training trade is always fun. Today’s version: the Rangers trade infielder Ray Olmedo to the Brewers for catcher Matt Treanor.
Matt Treanor is a backup catcher who can’t hit, and his presence in Texas is significant only insofar as (a) he’s, like, the fifth catcher the Rangers have traded for since everyone was talking about how much catching depth they had at the beginning of last year; and (b) he’s married to one half of what has been called “the greatest beach volleyball team of all time.” Misty May-Treanor once played volleyball with President Bush, who is the former owner of the Rangers, so I’m guessing the wheels started turning on this deal 15 years ago or so.
Olmedo is notable for being waived and outrighted to the minors more times than he has professional hits (estimated). Also: someone updated his Wikipedia page with this trade within five minutes of it being announced on Twitter, which means he probably has a very dedicated stalker out there somewhere, lurking.
Programming note: Given the heat this news is generating in blogosphere, it may take me a while to write the “What they’re saying about the Treanor-Olmedo” post. I mean, a man can only process so much analysis so fast.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 10
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 102
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 128
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (128)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (104)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)