Mar 22, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT
Larry Stone of the Seattle Times reports that the Mariners are considering making Casey Kotchman their number three hitter behind Ichiro and Figgins. What’s more, Milton Bradley is probably going to bat cleanup. I haven’t been paying all that much attention to the Mariners’ spring, so my first thought was “that makes no sense!” Upon reflection, though, who else is going to hit 3-4? Jack Wilson? Franklin Gutierrez? Griffey?
For all of the excitement about the moves the Mariners made this winter, the fact remains that there ain’t a heck of a lot of pop in that lineup. And with Casey Kotchman (a slow, groundball hitter) and Milton Bradley (Milton Bradley) going 3-4, you’re going to see a lot of innings like this:
Kotchman: 4-6-3 double play;
Bradley: strikeout looking, ejected after blinking;
Not that I’m hating on the Mariners. Good pitching and stellar defense goes a long way. But once in a while you have to hit the ball over the fence, and I don’t know who’s going to be doing that for Seattle.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)