The Mariners lineup is a tad underwhelming

Mar 22, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT

Mariners logo.gifLarry Stone of the Seattle Times reports that the Mariners are considering making Casey Kotchman their number three hitter behind Ichiro and Figgins. What’s more, Milton Bradley is probably going to bat cleanup. I haven’t been paying all that much attention to the Mariners’ spring, so my first thought was “that makes no sense!”  Upon reflection, though, who else is going to hit 3-4?  Jack Wilson? Franklin Gutierrez? Griffey?

For all of the excitement about the moves the Mariners made this winter, the fact remains that there ain’t a heck of a lot of pop in that lineup.  And with Casey Kotchman (a slow, groundball hitter) and Milton Bradley (Milton Bradley) going 3-4, you’re going to see a lot of innings like this:

Ichiro: single;
Figgins: walk;
Kotchman: 4-6-3 double play;
Bradley: strikeout looking, ejected after blinking;

Not that I’m hating on the Mariners. Good pitching and stellar defense goes a long way. But once in a while you have to hit the ball over the fence, and I don’t know who’s going to be doing that for Seattle.

1. ecp - Mar 22, 2010 at 1:36 PM

The M’s are WAY overrated. I like their offseason moves as much as anybody, but to call them the team to beat in the AL West is overstretching the imagination.

2. Joey B - Mar 22, 2010 at 1:51 PM

I agree. I think Bay was overvalued by the NYM’s, but having a cleanup hitter that regularly hits over 30 HRs would help. They must be a near-lock to finish last in scoring, and it’s not impossible to have no one on the team with 20 HRs.

3. Alex - Mar 22, 2010 at 2:05 PM

No one with 20 HRs??? As a Met fan, I’d die for 19 HRs — last year, Daniel Murphy led the team with 10. 10!!!!!

4. Fred - Mar 22, 2010 at 2:12 PM

The only pop Mariner fans are going to see this season is the overpriced kind sold at the concession stands.

5. Nate - Mar 22, 2010 at 2:25 PM

When you look at the Yankees run in the 90′s they didn’t have a single player hit over 25 homers and they won the world series. Safeco is a line drive and gap hitting ball park which fits players with high BA well.

6. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Mar 22, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Tino Martinez (96-00) – 25, 44, 28, 28, 16
    Bernie Williams (96-00) – 29, 21, 26, 25, 30
    Jorge Posada (00) – 30
    O’Neill was generally good for 20-25, Jeter 15-20 (24 one year), Strawberry hit 24 in 100 games in ’98.

7. Ralph Kramden - Mar 22, 2010 at 2:44 PM

@Alex – Murphy had 12 HR (to lead the team). 4 Mets finished w/ 10 HR (including Francoeur in 75 G as a Met).

8. BC - Mar 22, 2010 at 2:54 PM

I’d take the Mariners over the Mets as to which team will score more runs this year.
    A typical Mets inning this year:
    1. Reyes grounds out to short, pulls hamstring, on 60-day DL
    2. Castillo pops up to the catch or something lame like that.
    3. Wright singles.
    4. Bay strikes out.

9. IdahoMariner - Mar 22, 2010 at 2:57 PM

nope, Craig, much as I love your writing and usually your analysis, too, this is how it’s going to look:
    Ichiro singled past shortstop and Chone Figgins grounded a ball just inside the first base line – and those two went into full sprint mode.
    Ichiro scored, Figgins was credited with a triple and Casey Kotchman singled him home. Before Weaver had thrown 10 pitches, he was down 2-0.
    Read more: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/mariners/#ixzz0ivvKIcLC
    (weaver is the Angels’ opening day pitcher)

10. BC - Mar 22, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Aren’t 44, 28, 29, 26, and 30 all more than 25. Or did the passage of the Healthcare Bill include provision that everyone in America switch to Bizarro Math?

11. Benny Blanco - Mar 22, 2010 at 3:00 PM

C’mon BC. Give them a break. You gotta consider the mets line up stronger than then the Mariners. Especially once Reyes and Beltran return.
    Arnet you a Met fan?

12. BC - Mar 22, 2010 at 3:03 PM

I think Sheffield had about a dozen as well, didn’t he?

13. Charles Gates - Mar 22, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Yes. Or how else do you think it’ll get paid for?
    recaptcha: basis devalued

14. IdahoMariner - Mar 22, 2010 at 3:08 PM

or this:
    but yeah, MB will probably be ejected for blinking. But before he does, he’ll hit a few in like he did the sunday. so there’s that.

15. Gary Sheffield - Mar 22, 2010 at 3:10 PM

C’mon, M’s… sign me as your DH!

16. BC - Mar 22, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Yes, I’m a Mets fan. But Beltran is out until June, Reyes gets injured more often than post-Seattle Griffey Jr., Wright’s power swing is totally messed up, and Bay will strike out 180 times or more (if HE stays healthy). It can’t be as bad as last year’s offense, but it won’t be much better. They had 671 last year – I’m thinking 700-720 this year. Hello 78-84 and easy-to-get September seats at Citi Field!

17. BC - Mar 22, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Touche’

18. Ace - Mar 22, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Why are we all comparing the Mariners lineup to the Mets? I think the relevant question is how they stack up against the Angels. (And I think the answer is not so well.)
    That said, I kind of like this little exercise. Using the Mets as a measuring stick for [insert your team here] sure does make for a terrific morale booster.

19. Andy II - Mar 22, 2010 at 3:25 PM

And if you compare the M’s lineup to the Pirates? Murderer’s Row!

20. BC - Mar 22, 2010 at 3:41 PM

My fault. I fanned the flames.

21. Benny Blanco - Mar 22, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Lets think positive BC. It cant be worse than last year.
    Wrights got some protection and there’s alot of talent on this team. Give Reyes a break. One injury year after 3 years of playing almost every game isnt bad. And this thyroid thing isnt a baseball related injury. We know Craig wants Frenchy to resort to his old ways, but with him and Bay, you gotta beleive Wright’s feeling better about the lineup.

22. dp - Mar 22, 2010 at 5:20 PM

It’s bad enough to have one malcontent on your club , but just imagine two. Bradly , and Sheffield, oh my God, I’d rather walk through hell with gasoline poured over me.

23. Fred - Mar 23, 2010 at 12:42 PM

I would like to see the Mariners do well this season but I remain to be convinced ignoring power in this era is the route to success. C’mon Nate, comparing this team with the late ’90′s Yankees? Who is the O’Neil, Jeter, Williams and Martinez on this roster? Griffey won’t get even as much as he had last year with all the IBB’s he’s going to see this season.
    Others have pointed to the 75 Reds as a team that didn’t produce much power. They had 124 HR’s as a team but the big guns of Morgan, Bench, Perez and Foster all had 17 or more.
    After watching so many games last year stranding runners and grounding into inning-ending DP’s I expected Zduriencik to at least try to replace Branyan. Nope. This strategy might work if no other teams are hitting many out, but the landscape’s changed. This is not the “dead-ball” era. Your team scratches and claws for two runs and one of your pitchers makes one mistake and boom. Game over. So as they say in Missouri, “Show me!”

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (4042)