Mar 22, 2010, 3:47 PM EST
Back in December the Nationals selected Dodgers minor leaguer Jamie Hoffmann with the first pick in the Rule 5 draft and then sent him to the Yankees in a pre-arranged deal for Brian Bruney.
Hoffmann was thought to be a near-lock for a spot on New York’s bench, but apparently the Yankees decided against keeping him on the 25-man roster all season (per the Rule 5 … well, rules) and sent him back to the Dodgers this afternoon.
Hoffmann had to clear waivers before becoming Los Angeles’ property again, which means no other teams were willing to keep him in the majors all season. However, according to Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News the Yankees may be trying to work out a second deal for Hoffmann outside of the Rule 5 parameters that would allow them to send him to Triple-A.
Feinsand notes “whispers in recent weeks about the Yankees sending either Chad Gaudin or Sergio Mitre to Los Angeles for Hoffmann.” Not a bad deal for the Dodgers, who essentially gave up Hoffmann for nothing by failing to protect him with a 40-man roster spot just a few months ago. Meanwhile, it looks more and more likely that the Yankees’ final bench spot will go to veteran Marcus Thames, who could end up paired with Brett Gardner as a platoon starter against left-handed pitching.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 103
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 9
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 28
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 34
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (115)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)