Mar 22, 2010, 3:47 PM EDT
Back in December the Nationals selected Dodgers minor leaguer Jamie Hoffmann with the first pick in the Rule 5 draft and then sent him to the Yankees in a pre-arranged deal for Brian Bruney.
Hoffmann was thought to be a near-lock for a spot on New York’s bench, but apparently the Yankees decided against keeping him on the 25-man roster all season (per the Rule 5 … well, rules) and sent him back to the Dodgers this afternoon.
Hoffmann had to clear waivers before becoming Los Angeles’ property again, which means no other teams were willing to keep him in the majors all season. However, according to Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News the Yankees may be trying to work out a second deal for Hoffmann outside of the Rule 5 parameters that would allow them to send him to Triple-A.
Feinsand notes “whispers in recent weeks about the Yankees sending either Chad Gaudin or Sergio Mitre to Los Angeles for Hoffmann.” Not a bad deal for the Dodgers, who essentially gave up Hoffmann for nothing by failing to protect him with a 40-man roster spot just a few months ago. Meanwhile, it looks more and more likely that the Yankees’ final bench spot will go to veteran Marcus Thames, who could end up paired with Brett Gardner as a platoon starter against left-handed pitching.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 0
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 28
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 105
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (104)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)