Mar 23, 2010, 12:44 PM EDT
After spending 12 days in Alabama undergoing physical therapy with Dr. James Andrews the news on Jesus Flores’ surgically repaired shoulder is … well, inconclusive.
Flores returned to Nationals camp sure that he’ll be healthy enough to play at some point this season, but he’s been ruled out for Opening Day and there’s no official timetable for his return. Or as the injured catcher put it: “As soon as I get 100 percent, I’ll be back.”
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that Andrews and his team gave Flores treatment, helped with his rehab, and ran tests to determine if he “had experienced further structural damage since” the September surgery.
They “discovered nothing more alarming than some inflammation.” In fact, according to Flores he was told that the injury “is not a big deal” and “everything is fine now.” All of which sounds good, except Kilgore notes that Flores is now “back at square one” in terms of restarting baseball activities and will need to be cleared medically all over again just to begin throwing. In other words, it’s gonna be a while.
Ivan Rodriguez is the Nationals’ starting catcher, with Wil Nieves backing him up.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)