Mar 23, 2010, 12:44 PM EDT
After spending 12 days in Alabama undergoing physical therapy with Dr. James Andrews the news on Jesus Flores’ surgically repaired shoulder is … well, inconclusive.
Flores returned to Nationals camp sure that he’ll be healthy enough to play at some point this season, but he’s been ruled out for Opening Day and there’s no official timetable for his return. Or as the injured catcher put it: “As soon as I get 100 percent, I’ll be back.”
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that Andrews and his team gave Flores treatment, helped with his rehab, and ran tests to determine if he “had experienced further structural damage since” the September surgery.
They “discovered nothing more alarming than some inflammation.” In fact, according to Flores he was told that the injury “is not a big deal” and “everything is fine now.” All of which sounds good, except Kilgore notes that Flores is now “back at square one” in terms of restarting baseball activities and will need to be cleared medically all over again just to begin throwing. In other words, it’s gonna be a while.
Ivan Rodriguez is the Nationals’ starting catcher, with Wil Nieves backing him up.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 46
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)