Mar 23, 2010, 8:29 AM EDT
Joe Torre apparently has an open door to come back to the Dodgers after this year, and he and the team have been negotiating about it, but now Torre has put a halt to the talks, saying he has “more important things to worry about” like getting the team ready for the season.
This really all seems to be about Torre not knowing whether he wants to manage anymore. He said as much a couple of weeks ago, and Frank McCourt says as much in the article.
You wonder if the longer he waits the less likely he is to come back after this year. The season, she is long, and apart from the World Series winners, you almost always get the sense that guys are exhausted after the year is over and maybe a tad negative about the grind as well. In light of that, if the can’t picture himself continuing on as spring optimism blooms, one wonders if he’ll be able to do so later.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)