Mar 23, 2010, 8:29 AM EDT
Joe Torre apparently has an open door to come back to the Dodgers after this year, and he and the team have been negotiating about it, but now Torre has put a halt to the talks, saying he has “more important things to worry about” like getting the team ready for the season.
This really all seems to be about Torre not knowing whether he wants to manage anymore. He said as much a couple of weeks ago, and Frank McCourt says as much in the article.
You wonder if the longer he waits the less likely he is to come back after this year. The season, she is long, and apart from the World Series winners, you almost always get the sense that guys are exhausted after the year is over and maybe a tad negative about the grind as well. In light of that, if the can’t picture himself continuing on as spring optimism blooms, one wonders if he’ll be able to do so later.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 51
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 46
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 76
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 112
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (190)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (112)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)