Mar 23, 2010, 8:29 AM EDT
Joe Torre apparently has an open door to come back to the Dodgers after this year, and he and the team have been negotiating about it, but now Torre has put a halt to the talks, saying he has “more important things to worry about” like getting the team ready for the season.
This really all seems to be about Torre not knowing whether he wants to manage anymore. He said as much a couple of weeks ago, and Frank McCourt says as much in the article.
You wonder if the longer he waits the less likely he is to come back after this year. The season, she is long, and apart from the World Series winners, you almost always get the sense that guys are exhausted after the year is over and maybe a tad negative about the grind as well. In light of that, if the can’t picture himself continuing on as spring optimism blooms, one wonders if he’ll be able to do so later.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 52
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 12
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 32
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 34
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (350)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (184)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)