Mar 23, 2010, 3:49 PM EST
Unlike Madison Bumgarner with the Giants there was probably never a significant chance of first baseman Ike Davis breaking camp with the Mets, but today’s demotion to the minors is still news after he hit .480 with three homers this spring.
Davis was the Mets’ first-round pick in 2008 and hit .298/.381/.524 with 20 homers in 114 minor-league games last season, so he’s definitely a big part of the long-term plan.
However, he has just 55 total games above Single-A, including zero at Triple-A, so in the big picture delaying the 23-year-old’s arrival for a couple more months is probably smart for the Mets.
Daniel Murphy will get another chance to prove that he’s a starting-caliber first baseman while Davis knocks around Triple-A pitching and the Mets suppress his service time enough to gain an extra year of team control. And if things go as I expect–which is to say Murphy is mediocre at best and Davis continues to do well in the minors–the Mets can make the switch in June or July.
If nothing else, for once it’s good to see the Mets being something less than ultra-aggressive with a prospect.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)