Mar 23, 2010, 11:40 AM EDT
This is meta, even for our usual meta-fueled standards, but MLB.com beat writers Jordan Bastian and Anthony DiComo have challenged each other to a half-mile race following tomorrow’s Rays-Blue Jays game in Florida.
Bastian (on the right) is the Blue Jays’ beat reporter while DiComo (on the left) covers both the Yankees and Mets, and here’s what passes for trash talk when writers and Twitter are involved:
@AnthonyDiComo: It’s on. I will race @MLBastian in a half-mile event tomorrow in Port Charlotte, following the conclusion of Rays-Jays.
@MLBastian: You will lose. RT @AnthonyDiComo: It’s on. I will race @MLBastian in a half-mile event tomorrow in Port Charlotte, following the Rays-Jays.
Straight and to the point, although the presence of a re-tweet removes a bit of the sting for some reason.
Anyway, because I’m willing to gamble on literally anything my money is on Bastian. Why? No good reason, but I know from reading his various tweets that he’s a distance runner who’s done multiple marathons. For all I know the same is true about DiComo, but I haven’t been following his Twitter feed for as long. And yes, this is what the world has come to now that we’re communicating 140 characters at a time.
Most of all I’m hoping that one of them gets to the start line and announces, Jerry Seinfeld-style: “I choose not to run.” Barring that, my official prediction is pulled hamstrings for both runners, just because it seems like that’s how a race between baseball writers should go.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 10
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 37
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 49
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)