Mar 23, 2010, 11:40 AM EST
This is meta, even for our usual meta-fueled standards, but MLB.com beat writers Jordan Bastian and Anthony DiComo have challenged each other to a half-mile race following tomorrow’s Rays-Blue Jays game in Florida.
Bastian (on the right) is the Blue Jays’ beat reporter while DiComo (on the left) covers both the Yankees and Mets, and here’s what passes for trash talk when writers and Twitter are involved:
@AnthonyDiComo: It’s on. I will race @MLBastian in a half-mile event tomorrow in Port Charlotte, following the conclusion of Rays-Jays.
@MLBastian: You will lose. RT @AnthonyDiComo: It’s on. I will race @MLBastian in a half-mile event tomorrow in Port Charlotte, following the Rays-Jays.
Straight and to the point, although the presence of a re-tweet removes a bit of the sting for some reason.
Anyway, because I’m willing to gamble on literally anything my money is on Bastian. Why? No good reason, but I know from reading his various tweets that he’s a distance runner who’s done multiple marathons. For all I know the same is true about DiComo, but I haven’t been following his Twitter feed for as long. And yes, this is what the world has come to now that we’re communicating 140 characters at a time.
Most of all I’m hoping that one of them gets to the start line and announces, Jerry Seinfeld-style: “I choose not to run.” Barring that, my official prediction is pulled hamstrings for both runners, just because it seems like that’s how a race between baseball writers should go.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 17
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 32
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 110
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 45
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (112)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)