Mar 23, 2010, 11:40 AM EDT
This is meta, even for our usual meta-fueled standards, but MLB.com beat writers Jordan Bastian and Anthony DiComo have challenged each other to a half-mile race following tomorrow’s Rays-Blue Jays game in Florida.
Bastian (on the right) is the Blue Jays’ beat reporter while DiComo (on the left) covers both the Yankees and Mets, and here’s what passes for trash talk when writers and Twitter are involved:
@AnthonyDiComo: It’s on. I will race @MLBastian in a half-mile event tomorrow in Port Charlotte, following the conclusion of Rays-Jays.
@MLBastian: You will lose. RT @AnthonyDiComo: It’s on. I will race @MLBastian in a half-mile event tomorrow in Port Charlotte, following the Rays-Jays.
Straight and to the point, although the presence of a re-tweet removes a bit of the sting for some reason.
Anyway, because I’m willing to gamble on literally anything my money is on Bastian. Why? No good reason, but I know from reading his various tweets that he’s a distance runner who’s done multiple marathons. For all I know the same is true about DiComo, but I haven’t been following his Twitter feed for as long. And yes, this is what the world has come to now that we’re communicating 140 characters at a time.
Most of all I’m hoping that one of them gets to the start line and announces, Jerry Seinfeld-style: “I choose not to run.” Barring that, my official prediction is pulled hamstrings for both runners, just because it seems like that’s how a race between baseball writers should go.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)