MLB.com writers challenge each other to a race

Mar 23, 2010, 11:40 AM EDT

This is meta, even for our usual meta-fueled standards, but MLB.com beat writers Jordan Bastian and Anthony DiComo have challenged each other to a half-mile race following tomorrow’s Rays-Blue Jays game in Florida.
Bastian (on the right) is the Blue Jays’ beat reporter while DiComo (on the left) covers both the Yankees and Mets, and here’s what passes for trash talk when writers and Twitter are involved:

@AnthonyDiComo: It’s on. I will race @MLBastian in a half-mile event tomorrow in Port Charlotte, following the conclusion of Rays-Jays.

@MLBastian: You will lose. RT @AnthonyDiComo: It’s on. I will race @MLBastian in a half-mile event tomorrow in Port Charlotte, following the Rays-Jays.

Straight and to the point, although the presence of a re-tweet removes a bit of the sting for some reason.
Anyway, because I’m willing to gamble on literally anything my money is on Bastian. Why? No good reason, but I know from reading his various tweets that he’s a distance runner who’s done multiple marathons. For all I know the same is true about DiComo, but I haven’t been following his Twitter feed for as long. And yes, this is what the world has come to now that we’re communicating 140 characters at a time.
Most of all I’m hoping that one of them gets to the start line and announces, Jerry Seinfeld-style: “I choose not to run.” Barring that, my official prediction is pulled hamstrings for both runners, just because it seems like that’s how a race between baseball writers should go.
Godspeed, gentlemen.

1. BC - Mar 23, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Someone get Danny Sheridan on the phone. We need a line on this thing.

2. Jim Artz - Mar 23, 2010 at 12:22 PM

DiComo used to run track in high school.

3. BigG - Mar 23, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Will this be on the speed channel?
    Is Dicky V available to commentate?

4. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Mar 23, 2010 at 1:34 PM

800m and distance running are two entirely different races. Unless you are saying the other will pass out after 100m due to being out of shape.

5. Natecat - Mar 23, 2010 at 3:56 PM

I think DiComo’s over/under is about 2:17. Supposedly he’s been running 5-10 miles a week for the past couple of months but I’m guessing he runs at about a 7:30-8:00 pace. If he pulls off a win, I’ll challenge him to the same race. Losing to me would be pathetic.

6. eh? - Mar 23, 2010 at 3:57 PM

these guys aren’t much of long distance runners if they’re going less than 1 km. heck, even the little kids run the main street mile in downtown. the guy who can stay focused enough not to tweet while running will be the winner. “you will lose” lacks a certain literary flair that i’d expect from a writer.

7. Nick - Mar 23, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Last time I saw DiComo run was on a pickup football game on Nickerson Field at Boston University…

8. Steve Fair - Mar 24, 2010 at 4:53 PM

I think DiComo should put a mirror at the finish line. He’ll run much faster if he knows that he can hug himself at the end.

9. Enthusiastic fan - Mar 25, 2010 at 3:52 PM

So, who won?

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3350)