Mar 23, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
ESPN’s Amy Nelson reports that Joe Nathan’s Tommy John surgery is set for Friday:
Minnesota Twins closer Joe Nathan will have Tommy John surgery on his right elbow on Friday in
New York, a source familiar with the situation said.
The surgery will be performed by the New York Mets’
team physician, Dr. David Altchek, according to the source.
I know you all are expecting me to make an easy joke about the Mets’ medical staff here, but I’m not going to. Mostly because, for all the fuss thrown up over the last year or two, I haven’t seen anything written criticizing the actual medical skills of anyone connected with the team. Nothing credible, anyway. A sports team’s health is a lot more complicated a thing than the tabloids and the angry fans who find themselves in front of a cameras like to admit. An easy scapegoat, really, in the face of what are obviously frustrating problems.
Of course God help Nathan if Omar Minaya and the Mets’ PR team comes out after the surgery and declares it a success, because those guys stink on ice.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 35
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (121)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)