Mar 23, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
ESPN’s Amy Nelson reports that Joe Nathan’s Tommy John surgery is set for Friday:
Minnesota Twins closer Joe Nathan will have Tommy John surgery on his right elbow on Friday in
New York, a source familiar with the situation said.
The surgery will be performed by the New York Mets’
team physician, Dr. David Altchek, according to the source.
I know you all are expecting me to make an easy joke about the Mets’ medical staff here, but I’m not going to. Mostly because, for all the fuss thrown up over the last year or two, I haven’t seen anything written criticizing the actual medical skills of anyone connected with the team. Nothing credible, anyway. A sports team’s health is a lot more complicated a thing than the tabloids and the angry fans who find themselves in front of a cameras like to admit. An easy scapegoat, really, in the face of what are obviously frustrating problems.
Of course God help Nathan if Omar Minaya and the Mets’ PR team comes out after the surgery and declares it a success, because those guys stink on ice.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)