Mar 23, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
ESPN’s Amy Nelson reports that Joe Nathan’s Tommy John surgery is set for Friday:
Minnesota Twins closer Joe Nathan will have Tommy John surgery on his right elbow on Friday in
New York, a source familiar with the situation said.
The surgery will be performed by the New York Mets’
team physician, Dr. David Altchek, according to the source.
I know you all are expecting me to make an easy joke about the Mets’ medical staff here, but I’m not going to. Mostly because, for all the fuss thrown up over the last year or two, I haven’t seen anything written criticizing the actual medical skills of anyone connected with the team. Nothing credible, anyway. A sports team’s health is a lot more complicated a thing than the tabloids and the angry fans who find themselves in front of a cameras like to admit. An easy scapegoat, really, in the face of what are obviously frustrating problems.
Of course God help Nathan if Omar Minaya and the Mets’ PR team comes out after the surgery and declares it a success, because those guys stink on ice.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 43
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)