Mar 23, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
ESPN’s Amy Nelson reports that Joe Nathan’s Tommy John surgery is set for Friday:
Minnesota Twins closer Joe Nathan will have Tommy John surgery on his right elbow on Friday in
New York, a source familiar with the situation said.
The surgery will be performed by the New York Mets’
team physician, Dr. David Altchek, according to the source.
I know you all are expecting me to make an easy joke about the Mets’ medical staff here, but I’m not going to. Mostly because, for all the fuss thrown up over the last year or two, I haven’t seen anything written criticizing the actual medical skills of anyone connected with the team. Nothing credible, anyway. A sports team’s health is a lot more complicated a thing than the tabloids and the angry fans who find themselves in front of a cameras like to admit. An easy scapegoat, really, in the face of what are obviously frustrating problems.
Of course God help Nathan if Omar Minaya and the Mets’ PR team comes out after the surgery and declares it a success, because those guys stink on ice.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 2
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 44
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 86
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)