Phillies selling history, messing with their mojo

Mar 23, 2010, 1:45 AM EDT

The Philadelphia Phillies are giving Citizens Bank Park a makeover, replacing the original playing surface – a surface on which the Phillies won three NL East titles, two pennants and the 2008 World Series – with brand new sod.

And they’re generously giving their fans a chance to purchase a piece of the old field, and (as they’re spinning it) team history. (From Philly.com)

The Phillies said the grass has been sectioned into 3 inch-by-3 inch pieces, freeze-dried, preserved and displayed in a UV-glass case with a photo of the field and highlights of the ballpark.

Cost is $79.99 for outfield or infield sections, or $119.99 for a piece of the painted Phillies logo section from behind home plate during the postseason. The logo pieces have been numbered from 1 to 2009.

Only $80 for a piece of sod? Maybe for another $80, they will throw in some champagne corks and cigar stubs from the 2008 championship celebration. And is it really a good idea to mess with the CBP mojo? In fact, it might makes sense from a superstitious standpoint for the Mets to buy every little 3-inch-by-3-inch section and reassembling it at Citi Field.

In that case, I could understand opening your wallets. But for everyone else, it might be wise to pass on grass.

Are you on Twitter? You can follow Bob here, and get all your HBT updates here.

1. smokehouse - Mar 23, 2010 at 5:42 AM

What a sick idea. I wonder where they got that idea from? Could it be the evil empire.

2. Jonny5 - Mar 23, 2010 at 8:36 AM

That’s about 1,742,400 pcs of freeze dried turf x $80. Well lets just say after buying new turf they should have enough left over to sign Werth….. I wonder if Tim Mcgraw asked them to leave a large section around the mound un touched. Ya know as not to sell off pieces of his old man……

3. Jack Meoffer - Mar 23, 2010 at 8:43 AM

The more I see this in baseball it turns me off even more. The teams are so deperate for a buck they will do anything. And the fans ? You really need a piece of dirt and grass that in the end really needs nothing ? It’s garbage. I hope people are smart enough and don’t buy it and the Phillies should do what they should of done in the beginning. Just throw it out.

4. BigTop - Mar 23, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Two thoughts on this:
    1) that sod was looking pretty bad by the end of the season. The outfield had bare spots all over the place (and not just where the outfielders stood). I was at Game 3 vs the Yankees and I thought it was borderline appalling that it looked so bad out there in a World Series game. At least it was still draining well after all that rain.
    2) I’d buy one, if I weren’t poor. I would put it right next to one of the seats from Veteran’s Stadium, which I also didn’t buy because I’m poor.

5. BC - Mar 23, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Probably. I have a piece of the old Yankee Stadium foul pole with a certificate of authenticity hanging on my wall. (I didn’t buy it, it was a gift).

6. madhatters - Mar 23, 2010 at 11:35 AM

They re-sod very frequently and I’m surprised it took three years to do this field. In three years the stadium has held more than 6 concerts.
    Bad mojo would be changing uni’s; changing sod will be greatly appreciated by the players I’m sure.
    Nice try making a mountain out of a mole hill we’re still gonna beat up on the Braves

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline