Mar 23, 2010, 1:45 AM EST
The Philadelphia Phillies are giving Citizens Bank Park a makeover, replacing the original playing surface – a surface on which the Phillies won three NL East titles, two pennants and the 2008 World Series – with brand new sod.
And they’re generously giving their fans a chance to purchase a piece of the old field, and (as they’re spinning it) team history. (From Philly.com)
The Phillies said the grass has been sectioned into 3 inch-by-3 inch pieces, freeze-dried, preserved and displayed in a UV-glass case with a photo of the field and highlights of the ballpark.
Cost is $79.99 for outfield or infield sections, or $119.99 for a piece of the painted Phillies logo section from behind home plate during the postseason. The logo pieces have been numbered from 1 to 2009.
Only $80 for a piece of sod? Maybe for another $80, they will throw in some champagne corks and cigar stubs from the 2008 championship celebration. And is it really a good idea to mess with the CBP mojo? In fact, it might makes sense from a superstitious standpoint for the Mets to buy every little 3-inch-by-3-inch section and reassembling it at Citi Field.
In that case, I could understand opening your wallets. But for everyone else, it might be wise to pass on grass.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (116)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)