Mar 23, 2010, 1:45 AM EDT
The Philadelphia Phillies are giving Citizens Bank Park a makeover, replacing the original playing surface – a surface on which the Phillies won three NL East titles, two pennants and the 2008 World Series – with brand new sod.
And they’re generously giving their fans a chance to purchase a piece of the old field, and (as they’re spinning it) team history. (From Philly.com)
The Phillies said the grass has been sectioned into 3 inch-by-3 inch pieces, freeze-dried, preserved and displayed in a UV-glass case with a photo of the field and highlights of the ballpark.
Cost is $79.99 for outfield or infield sections, or $119.99 for a piece of the painted Phillies logo section from behind home plate during the postseason. The logo pieces have been numbered from 1 to 2009.
Only $80 for a piece of sod? Maybe for another $80, they will throw in some champagne corks and cigar stubs from the 2008 championship celebration. And is it really a good idea to mess with the CBP mojo? In fact, it might makes sense from a superstitious standpoint for the Mets to buy every little 3-inch-by-3-inch section and reassembling it at Citi Field.
In that case, I could understand opening your wallets. But for everyone else, it might be wise to pass on grass.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 2
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 39
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 23
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)