Royals' utilityman's road trip pays dividends for his son

Mar 23, 2010, 4:15 PM EDT

There’s a new player on the NHL’s Minnesota Wild who has baseball to thank for his hockey career. He’s Casey Wellman, the son of former Giants and Royals’ utilityman Brad Wellman, and he got his start, indirectly anyway, on a Royals’ road trip:

In 1988, the Royals were in Boston to play the Red Sox when the Bruins
were hosting the New Jersey Devils in the Prince of Wales conference
finals. The Devils trainer was buddies with the Royals trainer and
invited Brad Wellman and Royals teammate Kevin Seitzer to Boston Garden
for a morning skate.

In the locker room, Wellman was invited onto
the ice. “But I didn’t know how to skate,” Brad Wellman said. “That
bothered me, so when I got back home after the year, I learned how to
skate and then (Casey and brother Logan) came and they were pretty
good.”

Coolest thing I learned in all of this?  Brad Wellman’s Baseball-Reference page says that he’s Tom Candiotti’s brother in law.  Tom Candiotti played Hoyt Wilhelm in *61, alongside Bruce McGill, who played Ralph Houk.  McGill, of course, played D-Day in “Animal House,” which means that Casey Wellman has a Bacon number of 3.

Which is probably pretty low for a guy in the NHL.

(thanks to Neate Sager for the link)

1. RoyceTheBaseballHack - Mar 23, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Pretty cool, but he’s no Porky Lopez, in the Cool Factor Scale.

2. Ron - Mar 23, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Do you know this stuff already, or do you go to the B-R page for every player each time their name is mentioned.
    I want to belive in the fact that you have all this trivia memorized!!!

3. Craig Calcaterra - Mar 23, 2010 at 4:38 PM

I wish I could say I knew that off the top of my head, but no, I didn’t. I really didn’t know anything about Brad Wellman apart from the fact that I have some of his worthless baseball cards, so I had to go look him up.

4. Ron - Mar 23, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Yeah, to be fair, I forgot that he had ever played for the Royals. I would have had to look that up. I remember him as a Giant, so it’s kind of embarrasing.

5. ThatGuy - Mar 23, 2010 at 4:58 PM

GO Wild! The wild can’t buy a mention on ESPN or the sister page prohockeytalk but get a mention in hardballtalk, how does that work? On another note the Wild could use a stud defensemen, I wonder if Mauer can skate? He has the size for it atleast…

6. Matt S. - Mar 23, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Mauer has to play QB for the Vikings this year, first.

7. Dr Paisley - Mar 23, 2010 at 10:50 PM

I was debating about mentioning the fact that my wife (well, one of them) was in Article 99 with Keifer Sutherland and Sometimes They Come Back with Tim Matheson, giving her a Bacon number of 2, twice, but when I saw the captcha was “taxes baldness,” which would affect so many of us here, I had to say something.
    “Something.”

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3924)