Mar 23, 2010, 2:15 PM EST
The Indians just had three recent signees from the Dominican Republic get suspended for pre-signing PED use. The team is as mad as hell and they’re not going to take it anymore. Indians’ scouting director John Mirabelli:
“I’ve got no sympathy for these guys. They broke the law. They
fraudulently tried to misrepresent their abilities to us to get a
higher signing bonus. They were all educated on this drug testing for a
long time . . . “We see a player, we evaluate him. We verbally agree on a contract. Then
we say you’re taking a drug test before we sign the contract. It’s an
added expense to the process, but we’re going to try and include our own
Given the investments involved the Indians are probably pretty smart to do this. These guys were apparently kind of dumb about the timing of it all, but you have to figure that there are a number of amateurs down there who juice up while being scouted, give teams an inflated sense of their strength and speed and then go off the stuff and reveal themselves to be lesser players once minor league testing kicks in.
The problem, of course, is that not all amateurs are going to fit that profile or, alternatively, may juice pre-signing but still wind up being fantastic players after they cycle off. Those guys may want to avoid the Indians — and maybe the “five or six other teams” who are doing this, according to the article — for fear of testing positive for PEDs. This, of course, would ultimately work to the benefit of teams who don’t test prior to signing.
I guess if I were the Indians and the handful of other team doing this, I’d push hard to get Major League Baseball as a whole to join in on a pre-signing testing regime rather than go it alone.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 33
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 60
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120