The Mets rename Tradition Field

Mar 23, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT

Tradition Field.jpgThere weren’t any bad experiences during my trip to spring training, but being honest — and trying to be as fair as possible — I’ll have to say that the Mets’ facilities in Port St. Lucie were my least favorite.  I’m not saying there was anything particularly wrong the place, just that the whole setup — the ballpark, the press stuff, the people, the town, the overall scene — fell short of the more or less exceptional experiences I had elsewhere.

One thing that did stand out, though, was the name of the Mets’ spring training park: Tradition Field.  I have no idea if that is a covert corporate name like “Great American Park” or something, but it just sounds cool. Feels like baseball!  Or, should I say, felt like baseball.  Here’s Tyler Kepner of the NYT a few minutes ago:

Here’s a new one: in the middle of a game, the
Mets announce they’ve renamed their spring training stadium. It’s now
Digital Domain Park.

Ah, the Mets. Impeccable timing! Impeccable taste!

1. Kevin - Mar 23, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Craig, Tradition is a corporate name. The field was named for a housing development near Port St Lucie.

2. Old Gator - Mar 23, 2010 at 6:02 PM

How nice. Changing it from one name that seemed to have a soul but didn’t – like an android – to another soulless name that actually sounds that way. Well, at least it’s more honest.
    You have to wonder if the advertising agencies that negotiate these naming rights purchases don’t stop to reflect on how stupid names like “Digital Domain Field” and “Land Shark Stadium” actually sound. Ugh.

3. Dr Paisley - Mar 23, 2010 at 10:41 PM

That’s “Digital Ptomaine” field. Stay away from the pixeldogs.

4. enough already - Mar 24, 2010 at 7:53 AM

Yuck. Anybody remember when they named the new park Citi Field and kept insisting that it could be worse? I guess this is their way of saying “see, told you so!”

5. JRB - Mar 24, 2010 at 9:09 AM

And the hits just keep coming…..
    Has anyone checked to see if the Mets aren’t really the Bizarro World Yankees? (if you know your Superman)

6. Old Gator - Mar 24, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Yeah, and maybe if we say “Omar Minaya” backwards, he’ll go back to the fifth dimension.

1. H. Pence (2145)