Mar 23, 2010, 9:28 AM EDT
As we sit around waiting to see how Tom Hicks is going to extract himself from his debt problems and finally get the deal done to sell the Ranger, Maury Brown runs down all of the reasons why Hicks has essentially become persona non grata in baseball circles. The upshot: by failing to make his payroll, giving A-Rod $250 million, failing to make deferred compensation requirements under the CBA and other assorted financial shenanigans he has alienated the league, the other owners and the union. And now that his incompetence has gummed up the Rangers sale, he’s angering Chuck Greenberg, Nolan Ryan and any number of banks.
Not his unpopularity is a function of his recent money problems. For my part, Hicks jumped the shark in August of 2002. Let’s set the scene: Hicks owns a Rangers team with the second highest payroll in baseball. He has recently signed Alex Rodriguez to a contract paying him $100 million more than the next highest
bidder. He has given Chan Ho Park $65 million, Juan Gonzalez $24 million
over two years and even found $7.5 million for Todd Van Poppel of all people.
Then, in the midst of contentious collective bargaining negotiations with the players union he sat on the deck of his yacht in San Diego harbor and said “for the good of baseball, we need to have cost-containment.” I pictured him saying that while eating panda steaks and
wiping the corners of his mouth with bearer bonds.
I don’t wish misfortune on anyone, but if there is to be misfortune in the world, better it fall on a guy with the chutzpah of Tom Hicks than someone else.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 17
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 8
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 33
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 21
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)