Tom Hicks is not well-liked

Mar 23, 2010, 9:28 AM EST

Tom Hicks.jpgAs we sit around waiting to see how Tom Hicks is going to extract himself from his debt problems and finally get the deal done to sell the Ranger, Maury Brown runs down all of the reasons why Hicks has essentially become persona non grata in baseball circles. The upshot: by failing to make his payroll, giving A-Rod $250 million, failing to make deferred compensation requirements under the CBA and other assorted financial shenanigans he has alienated the league, the other owners and the union. And now that his incompetence has gummed up the Rangers sale, he’s angering Chuck Greenberg, Nolan Ryan and any number of banks.

Not his unpopularity is a function of his recent money problems.  For my part, Hicks jumped the shark in August of 2002.  Let’s set the scene: Hicks owns a Rangers team with the second highest payroll in baseball. He has recently signed Alex Rodriguez to a contract paying him $100 million more than the next highest
bidder. He has given Chan Ho Park $65 million, Juan Gonzalez $24 million
over two years and even found $7.5 million for Todd Van Poppel of all people.

Then, in the midst of contentious collective bargaining negotiations with the players union he sat on the deck of his yacht in San Diego harbor and said “for the good of baseball, we need to have cost-containment.” I pictured him saying that while eating panda steaks and
wiping the corners of his mouth with bearer bonds.

I don’t wish misfortune on anyone, but if there is to be misfortune in the world, better it fall on a guy with the chutzpah of Tom Hicks than someone else.

1. YankeesfanLen - Mar 23, 2010 at 10:24 AM

So, we have found baseball’s Donald Trump, or perhaps as the headline suggests, Willy Loman.
    My hope is that the Rangers get settled down and someday win the AL West so we don’t have those pesky Angels to deal with. Although I love Hideki’s bat, putting him in left field helps our cause anyway.

2. Frank from NY - Mar 23, 2010 at 11:16 AM

I very much enjoy the “Panda Steak” comment, really drives the point home. Well played.

3. dball - Mar 23, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Yet another reason to dislike The Rangers: Tom Hicks. May that franchise NEVER play in a World Series.

4. Steve C - Mar 23, 2010 at 11:50 AM

If only there were some rich guy that lived in the Dallas area that is interested in owning sports teams.

5. scotto - Mar 23, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Dumb, dumb, dumb!
    So, what rich person is loved? No one.
    Even Oprah, who gives away other peeps money, isn’t loved.
    It’s tough to get rich and stay rich. Bad decisions are made. The economy affets the rich too.
    Any owner who gets involved in player negotiations eventually gets fleeced.
    AFraud’s agent hosed the Rangers, Mauer’s the Twins.
    It goes on and on.
    Throw in the pizissed off soccer fans that HATE Hicks for being a joint owner of a Premier League team!

6. APBA Guy - Mar 23, 2010 at 12:38 PM

As readers of Craig’s comments know I am no fan of Tom Hicks or his ilk, those who make gazillions by merging firms, laying off thousands, then flipping the firms back and forth between publicly held and privately held, profiting with each transaction. Meanwhile, the laid off pay 35% marginal tax rates to Hicks 15% capital gains rate.
    That rant aside, like Liverpool fans I’m sure most Texas fans just want him gone. The Rangers are showing signs of being a threat in the 21st century with Daniels and Nolan Ryan. I’d like to see what they could do unhooked from the albatross of Hicks crumbling financial empire.
    I really have no problem with players or agents separating an egomaniac like Hicks from his money. He’ll still end up with a big house, a big boat, and plenty of panda steaks in the freezer.

7. The Rabbit - Mar 23, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Well Said!

8. Michael - Mar 24, 2010 at 2:51 AM

The crazy thing is, while Hicks is playing shenanigans with the Rangers, he has been fighting to take control of Liverpool FC!
    Let’s hope the Rangers can break this string of bad ownership.

9. John Lyng - Apr 17, 2010 at 10:56 PM

I have nothing but contempt for this man and his ugly son. He rode into Liverpool on his white horse making all sorts of promises, and delivered nothing. He has left the club I love and support for the past 35 years in shambles. Himself and his family and his corupt useless business partner sidekick Mr. George Gillet have run up huge expense accounts making jolly trips across the Atlantic to see my wonderful club and not care what he is doing to it. I personly wish you the worst of luck for your future business dealings – though I`m sure you don`t need my curse as you have proven in your track records to be a plague and a blithe in our world ecenomy. So please get back on your horse cowboy and wimper out of Liverpool – good riddance

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5111)