Doc Gooden charged with DWI, child endangerment

Mar 24, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT

Gooden mugshot.jpgNot less than ten minutes after reading this story in which Doc Gooden offers his advice to Stephen Strasburg I read that Gooden was arrested after being involved in a crash after which he was charged with:

• Driving under the Influence of a controlled dangerous substance;
  • Endangering the welfare
    of a child;
  • DWI with a child passenger;
  • Leaving the scene of a motor
    vehicle accident;
  • Reckless driving;
  • Failure to keep right; and
  • Failure to
    notify change of address regarding driver’s license

You’d think the first six charges were enough without that address beef, but if I saw that a guy was driving his kids around while on drugs I’d spend hours in the law library looking for new and outrageously punitive things with which to charge him.

As I sit here right now I’m struggling to think of someone who has wasted his life and the second, third, fourth and fifth chances (and then some) he was given than Dwight Gooden has.  Maybe there’s one or two, I don’t know. I do know, though, that Stephen Strasburg should take any advice Doc Gooden has for him and do pretty much the exact opposite.

1. BC - Mar 24, 2010 at 1:26 PM

I think he’s still a couple chances behind Steve Howe.

2. Old Gator - Mar 24, 2010 at 1:27 PM

If not for the awful irresponsibility of endangering the kid, whomever he/she was, this would break my heart. I can’t help remembering the bright-eyed kid with the big grin and those breath-catching games wherein he matched zeroes with Fernando Valenzuela inning after inning. During the era when the two of them were in their prime, those games still strike me as the ne plus ultra of the pitching duel. You would sit in your seat at Shea or home before your TV when the Mutts played the Bums in LA with your bladder bursting rather than go hit the john and miss a single pitch. They never failed to disappoint. This is horrible news. I don’t doubt that he’s looking at some hard time now. Maybe that will drive some sense of what he’s pissed away through that carborundum skull of his.

3. Charles Gates - Mar 24, 2010 at 1:31 PM

I went to bb-ref.com to see just how good Gooden was, and while pretty irrelevant now that he’s endangering children, I was amazed to see he threw 276 innings at age 20. Wow.

4. Motherscratcher - Mar 24, 2010 at 1:31 PM

I am Jack’s complete lack of surprise.

5. Sam - Mar 24, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Prison Warden: Geez, Dwight, how many times do we have to tell you: Stop signing your name on your cell wall!

6. thekcubrats - Mar 24, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Straw? I mean, come on, Calc, THINK before you post.

7. enough already - Mar 24, 2010 at 1:52 PM

What he said. Except that he’s never going to get it. And there are plenty of lessons to be learned.

8. Mark C - Mar 24, 2010 at 1:59 PM

A perfect example of the “million dollar arm with the 10-cent head”!

9. yankeesrule - Mar 24, 2010 at 2:10 PM

All we can do is say many prayers that Doc will finally get it right before he’s 6 feet under at a young age. Having been in recovery for the last 14 years but not remembering my entire 30’s i do not wish this disease on my worst enemy. I am fairly rich which just goes to show that addiction does not discriminate.

10. Simon DelMonte - Mar 24, 2010 at 2:27 PM

It breaks my heart, even though you are right and it shouldn’t. But I doubt that many Mets fans don’t feel just awful when we see this, and don’t think, “oh, Doc, what did you do this time?”
    He was something in his prime. And also a near-total waste of potential. I hope that he gets it this time, but I can’t imagine he will.

11. steve duncan - Mar 24, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Robert Downey Jr burned through a few reform epiphanies before coming to his senses.

12. YankeesfanLen - Mar 24, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Wow- he just rammed into the back of someone for no apparent reason- must be co0mpletely off the wagon. And in a “kid-glove” Jersey town, home to Phil Simms, Willie Randolph, Bernie Kurik, etc. He should have moved to Birmingham MI.
    captcha: wiser Hints

13. Joe L - Mar 24, 2010 at 4:01 PM

I don’t know – if, at twenty, I was the toast of NYC such that I literally had to swim through free booze, coke and women to get to my apartment, I’m not sure how I would have fared either. What a shame.

14. dsmith4444 - Mar 24, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Craig calcaterra is an judgemental piece of crap idiot. Who wants your advice moron? Why don’t you get a life instead of living off of other’s misfortunes you lazy piece of crap.

15. Howard Katz - Mar 24, 2010 at 4:03 PM

As someone who has lost a son because of a DUI criminal, there needs to be zero tolerance for such offenders regardless of their sports exploits or superstar status. What a waste of a great talent. But in my book he will always be a big loser as a person.
    People are responsible and held accountable for their actions. He should never again be allowed to make a stupid decision that endangers the life of innocent people. Hopefully, when he moves to a different place the true judge of people will hold him accountable for his actions – even if the courts on earth are incapable and not disposed to doing so. Let him reap what he has sown. Hope everyone else avoids drinking and driving – a lethal combination that needlessly causes the loss of human life which should be valued above all. Best regards to all – except DUI offenders. May they rot in hell forever!

16. Jack - Mar 24, 2010 at 4:24 PM

I love it. The comment that is.

17. Eric Weinberg - Mar 24, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Craig, sorry to pick on the second word in your whole piece, but you are a writer, after all. You meant “not MORE than ten minutes” instead of “not LESS than…”. “Not less than ten minutes after” means it could’ve been twenty minutes after, or an hour after, or a week after. I think you get the point. Anyway, not more than two words into your article, you misspoke. I’m just saying.

18. Dasani - Mar 24, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Ah yes… my sentiment exactly.

19. Grammar Police - Mar 24, 2010 at 5:25 PM

“an judgemental”
    An judgemental? An? Really? (Never mind the spelling of judgmental.)

20. Rays fan - Mar 24, 2010 at 5:53 PM

“Why don’t you get a life instead of living off of other’s misfortunes you lazy piece of crap.”
    …You think he needs to get a life, yet you took the time to read it and comment on it–so who needs a life?
    …As for judgmental, was it Craig or you that felt it necessary to engage in personal insults?

21. Matt Jenson - Mar 24, 2010 at 7:12 PM

I think only Daryl Strawberry received more chances. How ironic.

22. bob small - Mar 24, 2010 at 7:15 PM

another total waste.

23. peteinfla - Mar 25, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Actually you are the piece of crap, Not Craig. Doesn’t matter if you agree with him or not, he is voicing an opinion here. And alot of us look forward to reading it everyday, apparently even you. IF you don’t like his blog, then don’t f***ing read it, but to be stupid and insulting is just wrong. It’s morons like you who take the enjoyment out of reading and replying to this blog. Craig may have to much class to respond to you, but I don’t – you are an arogant, stupid a**hole. I hope the next car Gooden hits has you in it!

1. H. Pence (2182)