Mar 24, 2010, 9:30 AM EST
MLB.com won’t let me (or anyone else) embed video, so you have to check it out here. Definitely worth your click-through, though. The catch is being compared to Willie Mays over-the-shoulder catch in the 1954 World Series. Two differences from what I can see:
1. Willie Mays’ catch was only half of what made that play amazing. The throw which followed it — which kept Larry Doby at third base despite the fact that Wertz’s ball was hit approximately a gajillion feet — was just as impressive; and
2. Mays didn’t do a fancy little hop right before catching the ball. If he had, we’d probably view his legacy in a whole new light.
Not that I’m taking away from Ichiro. That was a great catch. Real baseball is almost here, my brothers and sisters.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 0
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 26
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40