Mar 24, 2010, 5:38 PM EST
Released by the Marlins earlier this week, Mike MacDougal has re-signed with the Nationals on a minor-league deal.
MacDougal had a 3.60 ERA in 50 innings and converted 20-of-21 save chances in Washington last season, but his 31/31 K/BB ratio and incredibly inconsistent track record kept him from getting any big-league offers. Mike Capps is now the Nationals’ closer, but MacDougal could get a look in a middle-relief role.
He throws hard and can be extremely tough to hit at times, but more often than not MacDougal struggles to find the strike zone and has a 4.91 ERA with nearly as many walks (83) as strikeouts (85) in 114 total innings over the past three seasons.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)