Nick Swisher says no to "Sweet Caroline"

Mar 24, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT

Yes, it’s commerce, but ESPN’s commercials often stand out on their own.  The latest: Clay Buchholz, Nick Swisher and some dude sitting in a living room watching  a ballgame. Buchholz and the dude start singing “Sweet Caroline” and then try to throw it to Swisher, who responds with a “no way, dude.” You can see it here.  I’ll admit I chuckled. If they don’t run it into the ground and, instead, do lots of different ones including players of other teams I’ll consider it to be an enjoyable and inspired little campaign.

Still, it would have been better if Swisher had harangued the other two about just how stupid everyone singing “Sweet Caroline” is, followed by Buchholz going off on “Cotton Eyed Joe,” and the thing concluded with a knock-down, dragout fistfight that leaves both of them on the 60-day disabled list. Final shot: Tim Wakefield and Randy Winn laughing over their new full-time jobs.

1. Ryan - Mar 24, 2010 at 3:39 PM

FAIL. The last BOS vs NYY ESPN commercial that was even remotely funny was the Ortiz / Jeter one where Wally walks by and sees DO wearing a Yankees hat. That was funny, this is pathetic. Buchholz needs to stop showing up on TV and start working on his pitching consistency.

2. IdahoMariner - Mar 24, 2010 at 3:46 PM

and now, after reading the story about how Neil Diamond came up with the song, I am officially off the fence as far as this song is concerned. Ick.
    captcha: who effaced

3. Eric - Mar 24, 2010 at 4:05 PM

ha! i remember that one. but, you got it wrong. it was Ortiz and Posada. Ortiz was breaking in Posada’s unused new hat.

4. Dan in Katonah - Mar 24, 2010 at 4:22 PM

I would have prefered the third guy in the commercial to finish it off by pointing at Swisher and saying – “Look at him, he just wants to punch me in my face. Don’t you? don’t you? Well go ahead and do it, punch me in my f—ing face!!” ala Derek in “Step Brothers.”
    uncomfortable captcha: “tights groups”

5. MYSoo - Mar 24, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Like CC, I usually like ESPN commercials with baseball players, the ones featuring Ortiz and Jeter, Jorge!, Rollins, and Trevor Hoffman come to mind as being particularly good ones, but this one is terrible.
    I did not even recognize Buchholz or Swisher as anyone famous in this commerical. What’s the point of having a “celebrity” or professional ballplayer if the average viewer doesn’t even know who they are? How about the Youker throwing it to Big Tex?
    I’m not American Idol judge, but the singing was pretty awful. Not only were the players not recognizable, they couldn’t sing either.
    Where are the actual Sportscenter personalities? The interaction between the newscasters and the subjects they cover is what makes these commercials so interesting and funny.

6. Old Gator - Mar 24, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Neil Diamond? Gagg. Execrable kitsch crap. He’d come on the radio and I’d just throw an MC5 8-track tape into the slot and turn the motherfucker all the way up. Sure, it distorted, but (a) it was the MC5 anyway and (b) it blew every last vestige of Neil Diamond out of my head, which was what it was supposed to do.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3484)