Mar 24, 2010, 3:15 PM EST
Yes, it’s commerce, but ESPN’s commercials often stand out on their own. The latest: Clay Buchholz, Nick Swisher and some dude sitting in a living room watching a ballgame. Buchholz and the dude start singing “Sweet Caroline” and then try to throw it to Swisher, who responds with a “no way, dude.” You can see it here. I’ll admit I chuckled. If they don’t run it into the ground and, instead, do lots of different ones including players of other teams I’ll consider it to be an enjoyable and inspired little campaign.
Still, it would have been better if Swisher had harangued the other two about just how stupid everyone singing “Sweet Caroline” is, followed by Buchholz going off on “Cotton Eyed Joe,” and the thing concluded with a knock-down, dragout fistfight that leaves both of them on the 60-day disabled list. Final shot: Tim Wakefield and Randy Winn laughing over their new full-time jobs.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)