Mar 24, 2010, 9:47 PM EDT
Octavio Dotel finally made his spring debut Wednesday, tossing a scoreless ninth inning in the Pirates’ 6-4 loss to the Red Sox.
Dotel needed 22 pitches to make it through the frame and registered 12 balls along the way, but the situation could have been worse. Hobbled by an oblique injury over the first three-and-half weeks of camp, Dotel allowed only one walk and recorded a strikeout. The 36-year-old had a 3.55 ERA and 11.6 K/9 in 134 appearances over the last two seasons with the White Sox and is expected to close this season in Pittsburgh.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12