Mar 24, 2010, 12:17 PM EDT
Frank McCourt was behind the relaunch of the Los Angeles Marathon which was run this past weekend. In today’s Los Angeles Times he waxes defensive:
“Not a single person in the media has asked me how my divorce affects
the marathon, because it doesn’t. I understand the urge
by the media to create drama around my personal life. It’s really not
Of course, if there was documentary evidence that McCourt was sucking millions out of the Los Angeles Marathon to support a lavish lifestyle like he’s done with the Dodgers, you can bet your bippy there would be questions. In other news, the organization of the marathon wasn’t nearly as skippy as the mainstream media reports would have you believe. I’m assuming it was somehow Jamie’s fault.
One point in McCourt’s defense from the article: I agree with his defense to Rosenthal’s criticism from the other day that Dodgers didn’t trade any of their young talent to rent CC Sabathia or Cliff Lee or someone like that. If there was a potential trade that (a) didn’t involve Matt Kemp and/or Clayton Kershaw; that (b) would have landed them a big fish for the playoff push I might change my tune, but upon reflection I’m having a hard time going too crazy over that.
The Dodgers should probably be entering 2010 with better options than Russ Ortiz in their starting rotation, but the idea that their failure to make blockbuster deals down the stretch evidences McCourt mismanagement is off base, I think.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)