Mar 24, 2010, 6:20 PM EDT
As he faced the sun he cast no shadow . . . Susan Slusser of the Chronicle reports:
The A’s have just announced that they traded recently demoted infielder Gregorio Petit to the Rangers in exchange for right-handed reliever Edwar Ramirez, sent by Texas to Triple-A Oklahoma City earlier today.
Ramirez spent the past three seasons with the Yankees, going 6-2 career record with 5.22 ERA in 96 games, with 116 strikeouts and 93 hits in 98-1/3 innings. He turns 29 on Sunday, and at 6-foot-3, 167, he’s a beanpole along the lines of ex-A’s reliever Juan Cruz.
As Slusser notes, Ramirez is basically insurance for a bullpen with a lot of question marks and injuries and stuff. Slusser waxes optimistic about Petit, but I’m having a hard time seeing it. He was DFA’d in February and no one bit. He hit a measly 244/.292/.336 in the PCL last season, and that won’t play even with what is supposed to be a good glove.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)