Mar 24, 2010, 6:20 PM EDT
As he faced the sun he cast no shadow . . . Susan Slusser of the Chronicle reports:
The A’s have just announced that they traded recently demoted infielder Gregorio Petit to the Rangers in exchange for right-handed reliever Edwar Ramirez, sent by Texas to Triple-A Oklahoma City earlier today.
Ramirez spent the past three seasons with the Yankees, going 6-2 career record with 5.22 ERA in 96 games, with 116 strikeouts and 93 hits in 98-1/3 innings. He turns 29 on Sunday, and at 6-foot-3, 167, he’s a beanpole along the lines of ex-A’s reliever Juan Cruz.
As Slusser notes, Ramirez is basically insurance for a bullpen with a lot of question marks and injuries and stuff. Slusser waxes optimistic about Petit, but I’m having a hard time seeing it. He was DFA’d in February and no one bit. He hit a measly 244/.292/.336 in the PCL last season, and that won’t play even with what is supposed to be a good glove.
- The Lester trade is a win-win 56
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 123
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 39
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (118)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (118)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)