Mar 24, 2010, 6:20 PM EDT
As he faced the sun he cast no shadow . . . Susan Slusser of the Chronicle reports:
The A’s have just announced that they traded recently demoted infielder Gregorio Petit to the Rangers in exchange for right-handed reliever Edwar Ramirez, sent by Texas to Triple-A Oklahoma City earlier today.
Ramirez spent the past three seasons with the Yankees, going 6-2 career record with 5.22 ERA in 96 games, with 116 strikeouts and 93 hits in 98-1/3 innings. He turns 29 on Sunday, and at 6-foot-3, 167, he’s a beanpole along the lines of ex-A’s reliever Juan Cruz.
As Slusser notes, Ramirez is basically insurance for a bullpen with a lot of question marks and injuries and stuff. Slusser waxes optimistic about Petit, but I’m having a hard time seeing it. He was DFA’d in February and no one bit. He hit a measly 244/.292/.336 in the PCL last season, and that won’t play even with what is supposed to be a good glove.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)