Mar 24, 2010, 6:20 PM EST
As he faced the sun he cast no shadow . . . Susan Slusser of the Chronicle reports:
The A’s have just announced that they traded recently demoted infielder Gregorio Petit to the Rangers in exchange for right-handed reliever Edwar Ramirez, sent by Texas to Triple-A Oklahoma City earlier today.
Ramirez spent the past three seasons with the Yankees, going 6-2 career record with 5.22 ERA in 96 games, with 116 strikeouts and 93 hits in 98-1/3 innings. He turns 29 on Sunday, and at 6-foot-3, 167, he’s a beanpole along the lines of ex-A’s reliever Juan Cruz.
As Slusser notes, Ramirez is basically insurance for a bullpen with a lot of question marks and injuries and stuff. Slusser waxes optimistic about Petit, but I’m having a hard time seeing it. He was DFA’d in February and no one bit. He hit a measly 244/.292/.336 in the PCL last season, and that won’t play even with what is supposed to be a good glove.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 63
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)