Mar 24, 2010, 6:20 PM EDT
As he faced the sun he cast no shadow . . . Susan Slusser of the Chronicle reports:
The A’s have just announced that they traded recently demoted infielder Gregorio Petit to the Rangers in exchange for right-handed reliever Edwar Ramirez, sent by Texas to Triple-A Oklahoma City earlier today.
Ramirez spent the past three seasons with the Yankees, going 6-2 career record with 5.22 ERA in 96 games, with 116 strikeouts and 93 hits in 98-1/3 innings. He turns 29 on Sunday, and at 6-foot-3, 167, he’s a beanpole along the lines of ex-A’s reliever Juan Cruz.
As Slusser notes, Ramirez is basically insurance for a bullpen with a lot of question marks and injuries and stuff. Slusser waxes optimistic about Petit, but I’m having a hard time seeing it. He was DFA’d in February and no one bit. He hit a measly 244/.292/.336 in the PCL last season, and that won’t play even with what is supposed to be a good glove.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 109
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 153
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)