Mar 24, 2010, 10:22 AM EDT
Joel Sherman reports that the Mets are trying to trade Gary Matthews, Jr. and that the Reds are “a possibility.”
Sherman thinks this could be evidence that Carlos Beltran may be back quicker than people realize, thus making Matthews redundant. Competing possibility: The Mets are just now realizing that they foolishly traded a more-than-decent reliever in Brian Stokes for a guy who can’t hit and can’t really play defense anymore and are trying to undo it.
Oh, and perhaps Sherman’s sources should read more HardballTalk, because if they did they’d know that people with the Reds have said the team has “zero interest” in Gary Matthews, and cited multiple outfielders in their camp that they’d rather have make the team than him.
Apart from that, though . . .
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 3
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 39
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 78
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)