Mar 24, 2010, 10:22 AM EDT
Joel Sherman reports that the Mets are trying to trade Gary Matthews, Jr. and that the Reds are “a possibility.”
Sherman thinks this could be evidence that Carlos Beltran may be back quicker than people realize, thus making Matthews redundant. Competing possibility: The Mets are just now realizing that they foolishly traded a more-than-decent reliever in Brian Stokes for a guy who can’t hit and can’t really play defense anymore and are trying to undo it.
Oh, and perhaps Sherman’s sources should read more HardballTalk, because if they did they’d know that people with the Reds have said the team has “zero interest” in Gary Matthews, and cited multiple outfielders in their camp that they’d rather have make the team than him.
Apart from that, though . . .
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)