Mar 24, 2010, 10:22 AM EDT
Joel Sherman reports that the Mets are trying to trade Gary Matthews, Jr. and that the Reds are “a possibility.”
Sherman thinks this could be evidence that Carlos Beltran may be back quicker than people realize, thus making Matthews redundant. Competing possibility: The Mets are just now realizing that they foolishly traded a more-than-decent reliever in Brian Stokes for a guy who can’t hit and can’t really play defense anymore and are trying to undo it.
Oh, and perhaps Sherman’s sources should read more HardballTalk, because if they did they’d know that people with the Reds have said the team has “zero interest” in Gary Matthews, and cited multiple outfielders in their camp that they’d rather have make the team than him.
Apart from that, though . . .
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 9
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 10
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 13
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)