Mar 24, 2010, 10:22 AM EDT
Joel Sherman reports that the Mets are trying to trade Gary Matthews, Jr. and that the Reds are “a possibility.”
Sherman thinks this could be evidence that Carlos Beltran may be back quicker than people realize, thus making Matthews redundant. Competing possibility: The Mets are just now realizing that they foolishly traded a more-than-decent reliever in Brian Stokes for a guy who can’t hit and can’t really play defense anymore and are trying to undo it.
Oh, and perhaps Sherman’s sources should read more HardballTalk, because if they did they’d know that people with the Reds have said the team has “zero interest” in Gary Matthews, and cited multiple outfielders in their camp that they’d rather have make the team than him.
Apart from that, though . . .
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 5
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)