Mar 25, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
Alex Gordon broke his right thumb on March 6 and manager Trey Hillman admitted yesterday that the Royals’ third baseman will begin the season on the disabled list.
Gordon initially received a recovery timetable of 3-4 weeks, which gave him some chance to be ready for Opening Day, but Hillman explained that “it’s not going to happen” because the Royals don’t want to “force it” and risk setting him back even further:
No. 1, it’s unfair to him to rush something like this. I’m sure he’s tough enough to endure the pain of it. That’s not the issue. It’s a matter of re-injuring the thumb if we try to get in the reps that he needs to get to break with the major-league team.
Alberto Callaspo will replace Gordon at third base and may also bat third in the Royals’ lineup after hitting .300/.356/.457 with 11 homers and 60 total extra-base hits in 155 games last season.
Prior to Gordon’s injury Callaspo was battling Chris Getz for the starting job at second base and the team wasn’t exactly thrilled with his defense there, so the broken thumb keeps the Royals from potentially benching their second-best hitter from a season ago.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)