Mar 25, 2010, 2:44 PM EST
After sitting out all of last season Jim Edmonds has successfully completed his comeback, with the Brewers adding him to the roster prior to the “out” clause in his minor-league contract kicking in today.
Edmonds is certainly no longer an impact player, but as a minimum-salaried backup the 39-year-old seems capable of being a solid contributor. He posted a robust .883 OPS against right-handed pitching in 2008 and can back up all three outfield spots in addition to first base, although Jody Gerut could do more or less the same thing. Edmonds is 10-for-35 (.286) with a homer and nine RBIs this spring.
In a related move the Brewers placed Mat Gamel on the disabled list with a torn right latissimus dorsi in his shoulder that’s expected to keep him out for at least the first month of the season. Once healthy he seems likely to start out at Triple-A, although that could change if Casey McGehee struggles at third base in Milwaukee after surprising everyone as a rookie.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 59
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 156
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (158)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)