Mar 25, 2010, 12:43 PM EDT
I wrote yesterday about MLB.com beat writers Jordan Bastian and Anthony DiComo challenging each other to a half-mile race and the “Dot Com Dash” gained lots of attention as colleagues and fans picked sides.
Bastian emerged as the favorite because of his experience as a marathoner, but DiComo pulled off the upset yesterday afternoon on a high school track in Florida by finishing three seconds ahead of Bastian at two minutes, 32 seconds.
Here’s video of the race, although because there was no cameraman a big chunk occurs off screen:
Bastian was gracious in defeat, recapping the event in a lengthy blog entry and promising to train for a rematch next spring, and both guys were able to raise some money for charity. And most importantly (since we are talking about writers, after all) no one was injured in the process, although rumors are swirling that Bastian lost his car keys at the track and was heckled by his wife afterward.
Inspired by the thrilling “Dot Com Cash” and in the spirit of competition amongst baseball scribes, I would like to officially challenge Craig Calcaterra to a “who can write the most words about baseball without getting out of bed” contest, to be conducted every day from now until the final out of the World Series. And luckily for everyone, we promise not to shoot any video.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 0
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 10
- Who really owns a home run ball? 59
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)