Mar 25, 2010, 12:43 PM EDT
I wrote yesterday about MLB.com beat writers Jordan Bastian and Anthony DiComo challenging each other to a half-mile race and the “Dot Com Dash” gained lots of attention as colleagues and fans picked sides.
Bastian emerged as the favorite because of his experience as a marathoner, but DiComo pulled off the upset yesterday afternoon on a high school track in Florida by finishing three seconds ahead of Bastian at two minutes, 32 seconds.
Here’s video of the race, although because there was no cameraman a big chunk occurs off screen:
Bastian was gracious in defeat, recapping the event in a lengthy blog entry and promising to train for a rematch next spring, and both guys were able to raise some money for charity. And most importantly (since we are talking about writers, after all) no one was injured in the process, although rumors are swirling that Bastian lost his car keys at the track and was heckled by his wife afterward.
Inspired by the thrilling “Dot Com Cash” and in the spirit of competition amongst baseball scribes, I would like to officially challenge Craig Calcaterra to a “who can write the most words about baseball without getting out of bed” contest, to be conducted every day from now until the final out of the World Series. And luckily for everyone, we promise not to shoot any video.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)