Mar 25, 2010, 9:30 AM EST
Not a big surprise, but prospective Rangers owner Chuck Greenberg said yesterday that his team will be unable to finalize the deal for the team before Opening Day, as had been previously hoped. The new target is mid-April. Worth noting that this is not the first time the Greenberg group has missed a deadline. They went eight days past their original exclusive negotiating window back in January.
Greenberg said he isn’t concerned about the reports of angry creditors,
the deal being “a mess” or any of that stuff, and that this delay is just one of those things that happen. Can’t help but wonder, however, if the fact that Tom Hicks is getting squeezed really hard right now, as opposed to the usual types of impediments to deal making, isn’t the big problem. It’s his debt that’s causing the holdup with the creditors, and he seems less able to pay it off today than he was even a couple of weeks before.
Note to Tom Hicks: if Greenberg invites you out on a hunting trip, or hiking in canyon country or for a ride out on his yacht or something between now and mid-April, you probably want to take a pass on it.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 71
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)