Mar 25, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT
Not a big surprise, but prospective Rangers owner Chuck Greenberg said yesterday that his team will be unable to finalize the deal for the team before Opening Day, as had been previously hoped. The new target is mid-April. Worth noting that this is not the first time the Greenberg group has missed a deadline. They went eight days past their original exclusive negotiating window back in January.
Greenberg said he isn’t concerned about the reports of angry creditors,
the deal being “a mess” or any of that stuff, and that this delay is just one of those things that happen. Can’t help but wonder, however, if the fact that Tom Hicks is getting squeezed really hard right now, as opposed to the usual types of impediments to deal making, isn’t the big problem. It’s his debt that’s causing the holdup with the creditors, and he seems less able to pay it off today than he was even a couple of weeks before.
Note to Tom Hicks: if Greenberg invites you out on a hunting trip, or hiking in canyon country or for a ride out on his yacht or something between now and mid-April, you probably want to take a pass on it.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)