Mar 25, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT
Not a big surprise, but prospective Rangers owner Chuck Greenberg said yesterday that his team will be unable to finalize the deal for the team before Opening Day, as had been previously hoped. The new target is mid-April. Worth noting that this is not the first time the Greenberg group has missed a deadline. They went eight days past their original exclusive negotiating window back in January.
Greenberg said he isn’t concerned about the reports of angry creditors,
the deal being “a mess” or any of that stuff, and that this delay is just one of those things that happen. Can’t help but wonder, however, if the fact that Tom Hicks is getting squeezed really hard right now, as opposed to the usual types of impediments to deal making, isn’t the big problem. It’s his debt that’s causing the holdup with the creditors, and he seems less able to pay it off today than he was even a couple of weeks before.
Note to Tom Hicks: if Greenberg invites you out on a hunting trip, or hiking in canyon country or for a ride out on his yacht or something between now and mid-April, you probably want to take a pass on it.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 41
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 74
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 67
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (86)