Mar 25, 2010, 11:03 PM EDT
It’s not quite worthy of being added to this list of wacky baseball injuries, but Chicago Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee hurt his back in a freak accident on Wednesday, courtesy of some faulty furniture, according to the Chicago Tribune.
“He was eating before the game and the chair just collapsed on him,” manager Lou Piniella said. “That’s why we got him out of there after three innings.”
The fact Lee was eating when the chair collapsed was merely a coincidence. I’ve seen photos of Lee this spring and he has not ballooned to chair-busting, Fielder-esque proportions. So I’m inclined to blame the chair. And since the chair was at the Rangers’ spring facility in Surprise, it looks like the Rangers are the villains here.
Luckily, Lee received treatment on his back and should be back in the lineup on Friday, so you can table any talk of a conspiracy. Now if you want to talk curses, on the other hand …
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)