Mar 25, 2010, 11:03 PM EDT
It’s not quite worthy of being added to this list of wacky baseball injuries, but Chicago Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee hurt his back in a freak accident on Wednesday, courtesy of some faulty furniture, according to the Chicago Tribune.
“He was eating before the game and the chair just collapsed on him,” manager Lou Piniella said. “That’s why we got him out of there after three innings.”
The fact Lee was eating when the chair collapsed was merely a coincidence. I’ve seen photos of Lee this spring and he has not ballooned to chair-busting, Fielder-esque proportions. So I’m inclined to blame the chair. And since the chair was at the Rangers’ spring facility in Surprise, it looks like the Rangers are the villains here.
Luckily, Lee received treatment on his back and should be back in the lineup on Friday, so you can table any talk of a conspiracy. Now if you want to talk curses, on the other hand …
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (122)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy