Mar 25, 2010, 11:03 PM EST
It’s not quite worthy of being added to this list of wacky baseball injuries, but Chicago Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee hurt his back in a freak accident on Wednesday, courtesy of some faulty furniture, according to the Chicago Tribune.
“He was eating before the game and the chair just collapsed on him,” manager Lou Piniella said. “That’s why we got him out of there after three innings.”
The fact Lee was eating when the chair collapsed was merely a coincidence. I’ve seen photos of Lee this spring and he has not ballooned to chair-busting, Fielder-esque proportions. So I’m inclined to blame the chair. And since the chair was at the Rangers’ spring facility in Surprise, it looks like the Rangers are the villains here.
Luckily, Lee received treatment on his back and should be back in the lineup on Friday, so you can table any talk of a conspiracy. Now if you want to talk curses, on the other hand …
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 28
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 58
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27