Mar 25, 2010, 11:03 PM EST
It’s not quite worthy of being added to this list of wacky baseball injuries, but Chicago Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee hurt his back in a freak accident on Wednesday, courtesy of some faulty furniture, according to the Chicago Tribune.
“He was eating before the game and the chair just collapsed on him,” manager Lou Piniella said. “That’s why we got him out of there after three innings.”
The fact Lee was eating when the chair collapsed was merely a coincidence. I’ve seen photos of Lee this spring and he has not ballooned to chair-busting, Fielder-esque proportions. So I’m inclined to blame the chair. And since the chair was at the Rangers’ spring facility in Surprise, it looks like the Rangers are the villains here.
Luckily, Lee received treatment on his back and should be back in the lineup on Friday, so you can table any talk of a conspiracy. Now if you want to talk curses, on the other hand …
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 18
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 27
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 29
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Kevin Youkilis is going to play in Japan 30
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)