Mar 25, 2010, 11:44 AM EST
Showing that Jason Heyward isn’t the only player who can destroy property with his hits during spring training, Hideki Matsui somehow managed to smash the windshield of Angels owner Arte Moreno’s car with a foul ball yesterday.
Bill Plunkett of the Orange Country Register has the details:
Matsui hit a long foul ball down the right-field line that curled far from the field, bounced on the clubhouse roof, and dropped onto the windshield of owner Arte Moreno’s car, leaving a spiderweb of cracks on the passenger’s side of the owner’s Mercedes CL600 V2.
Torii Hunter made a joke about the cost coming out of Matsui’s first check and then pointed out the damage to Howie Kendrick, who had this brilliant response that brought back memories of elementary school trouble-making: “Awwww … Matsui’s in troub-le!”
“Triple-A is fine,” Matsui said. “As long as I don’t get fired.”
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27