Mar 25, 2010, 11:44 AM EDT
Showing that Jason Heyward isn’t the only player who can destroy property with his hits during spring training, Hideki Matsui somehow managed to smash the windshield of Angels owner Arte Moreno’s car with a foul ball yesterday.
Bill Plunkett of the Orange Country Register has the details:
Matsui hit a long foul ball down the right-field line that curled far from the field, bounced on the clubhouse roof, and dropped onto the windshield of owner Arte Moreno’s car, leaving a spiderweb of cracks on the passenger’s side of the owner’s Mercedes CL600 V2.
Torii Hunter made a joke about the cost coming out of Matsui’s first check and then pointed out the damage to Howie Kendrick, who had this brilliant response that brought back memories of elementary school trouble-making: “Awwww … Matsui’s in troub-le!”
“Triple-A is fine,” Matsui said. “As long as I don’t get fired.”
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 77
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 219
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (219)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)