Mar 25, 2010, 2:15 PM EST
Miguel Tejada was sentenced last year to one year of probation, 100 hours of community service and had to pay a fine for misleading Congressional investigators in the course of the PED circus. He didn’t knock over a liquor store while on probation, and the fine, we presume, was no big deal. Mr. Tejada has failed, however, to carry out his sentence in one important respect:
Tejada’s probation had been set to expire Thursday. However,
prosecutors say Tejada still has 44 hours of community service to
complete. At a hearing in federal court in Washington on
Wednesday, Magistrate Judge Alan Kay extended the probation for six
months. If Tejada completes the remaining service hours sooner, his
probation officer will recommend ending the probation early.
What, exactly, did Tejada have to do between the months of October and March — let alone on off-days during last season — that was so damn pressing that he couldn’t fit in 100 hours of community service? I mean, sure, it may be hard, logistically speaking, to arrange 100 hour-long presentations to middle schoolers about the dangers of drugs and lying an playing crappy shortstop and stuff. But I can tell you based on experience that, if you go down to the parole office and say “I want to spend 100 hours doing stuff!” people will fill your schedule for you pretty damn quickly.
Oh well. Could be worse for Tejada. The judge could have added an ankle monitor to his probation. I’m guessing the he figured Tejada’s mobility was already bad enough and that doing anything else to cut his range would constitute cruel and unusual punishment on Orioles fans.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 26
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 29
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 71
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)