Mar 25, 2010, 3:41 PM EDT
Tony La Russa said today that Yadier Molina is unlikely to play again this spring after straining his right oblique muscle running the bases yesterday, but added that “we have our fingers crossed for the early part of the season, maybe Opening Day.”
Jason LaRue would step in as the Cardinals’ starter behind the plate if Molina isn’t ready for Opening Day and 27-year-old minor league veteran Matt Pagnozzi would serve as his backup, which might be the worst-hitting catching duo in baseball.
In other Cardinals injury news, Colby Rasmus was scratched from this afternoon’s game against the Mets with a sore right knee. Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that Rasmus was benched as a “precaution” after getting cleated while trying to break up a double play yesterday.
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 18
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 63
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (100)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)