Mar 25, 2010, 3:41 PM EDT
Tony La Russa said today that Yadier Molina is unlikely to play again this spring after straining his right oblique muscle running the bases yesterday, but added that “we have our fingers crossed for the early part of the season, maybe Opening Day.”
Jason LaRue would step in as the Cardinals’ starter behind the plate if Molina isn’t ready for Opening Day and 27-year-old minor league veteran Matt Pagnozzi would serve as his backup, which might be the worst-hitting catching duo in baseball.
In other Cardinals injury news, Colby Rasmus was scratched from this afternoon’s game against the Mets with a sore right knee. Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that Rasmus was benched as a “precaution” after getting cleated while trying to break up a double play yesterday.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)