Mar 25, 2010, 8:03 PM EST
Russell Martin, slowed early in camp by a pulled groin, caught four innings of a minor league game on Thursday and reported no pain or discomfort, according to the Los Angeles Times’ Dylan Hernandez.
The outing went so well, in fact, that he’s already slated to catch six innings of a Triple-A exhibition game on Friday afternoon. Martin compiled an ugly .250/.352/.329 batting line last season with just seven home runs and 53
RBI in 505 at-bats. He’s hoping to turn his career around this year and expects to be ready by the start of the regular season.
If it doesn’t work out, and he’s not available on Opening Day, look for 28-year-old A.J. Ellis and 40-year-old veteran Brad Ausmus to split time behind the plate in his absence.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)