Why everyone hates the Yankees

Mar 25, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT

This article actually examines why everyone hates Duke, but the theories — and there are many of them — are broad and philosophical as opposed to dealing with specific players and personalities, and just about all of the reasons apply equally to the Yankees. I think I like this one:

I think the reward is from investment and return–regardless of the
direction for or against a particular team. The more you invest, the
greater the return needs to be for you to feel value in the experience.
If you really hate Duke and they lose, you feel good. If they lose big,
you feel great. If they lose on a replay of the Christian Laettner shot
at the Spectrum and you get to see Coach K thoroughly disgusted while
you are on the phone canceling your American Express card, then that is
the ultimate.

The first one, though, dealing with business growth, probably makes the most sense. I mean, I don’t remember anyone walking around in 1980 talking smack about Microsoft or spending a lot of time in 1991 talking about how much they hated the Yankees, do you?

(tip o’ the cap to Old Gator for the link)

1. Old Gator - Mar 25, 2010 at 6:04 PM

De nada, Jefe.
    I can’t help sniggering a little at this article because as an unreconstructed Sixties kid, I still remember the Duke of the J. B. Rhine institute for parapsychological studies, when you could get a full scholarship if you agreed to let them stick wires in your head and film you trying to guess the number of tits on the playmate in the concealed photo. Kudos to Harold Ramis for picking up on that stuff.
    Then again, there isn’t much at which I can’t help sniggering, and our deep rooted antipathy not so much to winners as to repeated winners is something else that amuses me no end. The problem is, there are certain lines you cross and then you’re trapped. If you win too often, they hate you. If you’re a former winner who loses repeatedly, you’re treated with contempt. If you’ve never won, you’re loved but pitied. On the other hand, there’s no one who’s never lost – too much negative psychic energy gets directed at consistent winners so that when they finally fall, they fall like Pentheus in The Bacchae. It’s a scramble. I think the most successful diversions are the ones that take us up and down, not so much in equal measure but in an interestingly erratic and unpredictable pattern. Too much winning, like too much losing, is a little like highway hypnosis. ZZzzzzz….

2. Phil - Mar 25, 2010 at 6:10 PM

It depends on when you started hating the Yankees. If you started hating the Yankees in the ’50s, as I did, then 1965-75 and 1982-94 simply stand out as a chance to catch your breath.
    Red Smith wrote in 1958 that rooting for the Yankees was like rooting for US Steel. My late father-in-law, a former IBEW vice-president, opined that anyone who could root for the Yankees probably voted for Republicans, too. He was a Dodgers fan – a Brooklyn Dodgers fan.
    How appropriate, captcha = strongest curdles

3. scatterbrian - Mar 25, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Back in the early 80s there was a promotion at an A’s game handing out Beat the Yankees Hankies. I actually think this stemmed from the ’81 playoffs, but I also think it was in part because the Yankees had signed Reggie and Catfish. I think my old man still has his hanky, but I also think he used it.

4. Ryan - Mar 25, 2010 at 6:39 PM

I hated the Yankees in 1991. Gravity will pull you skyward before that ever changes.

5. Jacques - Mar 25, 2010 at 6:58 PM

I started hating the Yankees about the time Carlton Fisk started hating the Yankees. (This is not coincidence. I was the little kid in the #27 shirt.) I do not recall any time since when I did not hate the Yankees. That’s what the Yankees are for, hating. That is the natural order of things.

6. YankeesfanLen - Mar 25, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Here’s why I love baseball- it becomes so much more historical on a continuing basis than other sports. Sure, there’s Lombardi’s Packers and Jordan’s Bulls- both great dynasties, however non-recurring for decades, if ever.
    And then you get the Universe- 20s,30s,late 40s. 50s, early 60s, late 70s. okay we’ll skip the 80s, late 90s, bookends 00s. Rather than go into reigns for a few years the Yankees are historical winners who, unlike other sports, keep figuring out a way to be on top. And there are ups-and-downs there, most evidently ’01 and ’04.
    The point being there is no point-All the drama keeps me, at least, riveted enough to last from March through November.
    All sports fans of any stripe should have it so good.

7. dp - Mar 25, 2010 at 8:21 PM

You and Fisk are scumbags, you two pigs eat out of the same trough.Two narrow minded envious retards. Neither of you could make a pimple on a Yankees ass.

8. YankeesfanLen - Mar 25, 2010 at 8:43 PM

I’m glad my post was followed by such an articulate reply.
    captcha: magical questioners (irony intended, I guess)

9. Big Harold - Mar 25, 2010 at 9:25 PM

“Red Smith wrote in 1958 that rooting for the Yankees was like rooting for US Steel.”
    Really? The way I see it it’s more like; The battle is not always to the strong nor the race to the swift but that’s the way to bet.
    “My late father-in-law,…opined that anyone who could root for the Yankees probably voted for Republicans, too.”
    Entire family, life long Democrats, .. life long Yankee fans from the Bronx. Gee, you think some of us are Yankee fans just because we live in, .. NYC? Nah, that couldn’t be it.

10. Mike D - Mar 25, 2010 at 9:50 PM

I hate everyone BUT the the Yankees

11. Mike D - Mar 25, 2010 at 9:53 PM

I hate everyone BUT the Yankees

12. Phil - Mar 25, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Big Harold, I apologize. I forgot to include all the smilies for all the humorless Yankee fans out there. Silly me, I thought the reference to the first point in the linked article was obvious.

13. peteinfla - Mar 25, 2010 at 10:16 PM

I think that dp just really illustrated why people hate the Yanks! Fans like him.

14. YankeesfanLen - Mar 25, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Thanks for your support. Love my captcha for this: funk that

15. Rays fan - Mar 26, 2010 at 12:37 AM

It’s fun to “hate” the Yankees. However, the it is also true that rivalries are always the most fun when both teams are good–especially when it’s ultimately your team that wins out.
    The problem is that many fans start feeling somehow entitled when their team goes on a run of consistant winning–happens in every sport, especially college football. I find them irritating even if it’s my team they root for.

16. Charles Gates - Mar 26, 2010 at 8:25 AM

I’m a Yankees fans. But I generally hate Yankees fans. Len, however, seems pretty ok.

17. JudyJ - Mar 26, 2010 at 10:55 AM

No one hates the Yankees more than the Mets’ fan. That said, well, the Yankees fill the seats in each stadium they visit. The SAWKS do the same. However, when the two teams play each other, that is something to behold. Somehow another level appears when these two teams play each other. As the universe goes – either you love the Yankees or you hate them. I never wear Yankee blue when I go to out-of-town baseball venues. I think the envious fans at other stadiums are just too much to risk by way of personal safety. I really like Yankee fans (the poster above excluded) and find a common bond. I also like SAWKS fans – when I take my summer and fall holidays in New England – well, everyone likes to rag on me for being a Yankee fan – not because I wear Yankee blue but because my accent differs from theirs. So I would say the rest of the world has a love/hate relationship with the Yankees – love them so much they hate them.

18. Old Gator - Mar 26, 2010 at 6:02 PM

You’d love the Citrus Series. Rays and Feesh fans can travel to each other’s equally unsuitable ballparks (although the Tropicana Dump is less suitable because it’s so much uglier and claustrophobic) in perfect confidence that the fans of the other team will be even less interested in them personally than they are in their own team. And at Joeprodolsharklife Stadium, at any rate, there’s so much room between fans that you’d need to piss off the second coming of Al Kaline for him or her to have the range to throw their peanuts, much less crumpled beer cups, at you and come within twenty yards of reaching you. The enthusiasm of the Feesh fan is subtle and understated, and Rays fans can still recall enough penny ante backsliding by their owners so that they feel a sort of gentle sympathy for Feesh fans in their current predicament.
    No, it’s not Beanbags versus Borg, but it’s more or less appropriate to the dystopian tropical environment we inhabit.
    And hey, where’d TF from Tampa disappear to lately? You out there, bro?

19. Rays fan - Mar 27, 2010 at 12:43 AM

Until two years ago we got excited just to see someone else in our “unique facility” other than the teams. It’s why I use the handle “Rays fan”–to make sure folks realize they do have at least one, even though my work now has me in OK. [BTW, the abbreviation "OK" proves it's the most honest state in the nation.]
    We really tried hard not to offend visiting fans–we need as many as possible; it’s the only hope for a more fitting venue. Also, most of us still have enough PTSD to fear a sell-off of our favorite players in order to pay for over-priced, under-performing has-beens as the original ownership group was so fond of doing. Thus, picking on the Fish in particular would be like poking at our own worst nightmare and thus karmically contraindicated.

20. JudyJ - Mar 27, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Sorry, Gator. The Rays fans are as obnoxious as any other. My brother went to the final game of the season in St. Pete against the Yankees and was treated to an unending tyrade from an obnoxious fan who kept singing (because the Rays were ahead 3-2) “look at the scoreboard”…to which my brother had to reply “look at the standings.” He proudly wore his Yankee garb.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3928)