Braves minor leaguer caught in prostitution sting

Mar 26, 2010, 9:59 AM EDT

When I saw the headline all I could do was to think “Please don’t be Jason Heyward! Please don’t be Jason Heyward!”  Then I remembered that it’s all but certain that Heyward will officially break camp with the big club, thus isn’t really a minor leaguer and everything was alright again.  Well, not for this dude:

Atlanta Braves minor league player Deunte Heath was arrested near the
Braves spring training home in Kissimmee, Fla. Thursday night. He is
facing prostitution charges after allegedly responding to an ad on a
classifieds web site. Heath was arrested during an undercover sting operation at a Kissimmee
townhouse according to Orlando TV station WFTV . . . Investigators say he responded to an ad online and agreed to pay $75 for
sex.

In other news, the fact that police in Kissimmee are running sting operations involving phony $75 prostitutes suggests to me that they have too much damn time on their hands. I’m not one of those people who erroneously believe that prostitution is a victimless crime — it could be in theory and if the laws were changed, but in practice it’s really not — but I would hope that public resources in that area of the vice beat would go more towards helping victimized and abused women, arresting drug dealing pimps and things of that nature than running sting operations in the suburbs.

In other other news, Deunte Heath is probably not making the Braves this year.

1. Charles Gates - Mar 26, 2010 at 10:09 AM

What are the chances it’s a ‘broken windows’ thing? Eh, I’ll put my money on public servants eating take-out, sitting around for hours, drinking burnt coffee, hoping to bust someone in a sting operation for something that the perp’ may not have done if it wasn’t for the ploy in the first place.

2. Ryan - Mar 26, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Jason Heyward wouldn’t get caught up in this type of nonsense. He can easily afford $100 girls now.

3. Jonny5 - Mar 26, 2010 at 10:25 AM

” I’m not one of those people who erroneously believe that prostitution is a victimless crime — it could be in theory and if the laws were changed, but in practice it’s really not ”
    What is erroneous is making into a crime and forcing it to be an underground buisiness where the vermin run everything.

4. Craig Calcaterra - Mar 26, 2010 at 10:30 AM

5. Rays fan - Mar 26, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Of course, prostitutes (not just women) are also sometimes abused and exploited, etc, by low-life pimps/madams even in countries where prostitution is legal.
    My personal view is the sting was a waste because it targetted the wrong group. Rather than concentrating on the prostitutes themselves (or in this case their customers), the efforts should really be aimed at the prostitues’ “handlers.”

6. Motherscratcher - Mar 26, 2010 at 10:57 AM

I don’t understand what the problem is. $75 seems like a pretty good deal to me.

7. Jonny5 - Mar 26, 2010 at 11:08 AM

“As for wasting resouces to police the issue–legalization wouldn’t lessen the costs, just transfer them from vice to other branches of the police and regulatory agencies.”
    Yes it would lessen the costs. It would become profit for every state that legalized it. It’s called sales tax. It’s also called income tax. Instead of spending billions fighting a losing battle, they’d be bringing money in, while freeing up the police action for actual crime.
    “That’s my point: it’s current nature (i.e. run by vermin because the way the laws are at present) make what could potentially be a victimless crime into one that is decidedly not victimless. Women are abused and exploited, etc.”
    That is how I understood what you stated. I just love the topic and can’t help but add my two cents. There is just too much tax money wasted on battles that don’t need to exist imo.

8. Rays fan - Mar 26, 2010 at 12:38 PM

I understand your point, but still believe the regulatory infrastructure would more than consume the tax revenue.

9. Jonny5 - Mar 26, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Lol!!! Do you forget what’s being sold here???? If played correctly it would be most lucrative for gov’t.

10. Lightskinbruh - Mar 26, 2010 at 1:06 PM

I just want to know if he was solicitating a MAN or a WOMAN for $75 sex. No one seems to be reporting if it was MAN on MAN sex or MAN on WOMAN sex. Just a vague prostitution sting story.

11. Old Gator - Mar 26, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Sting? Is that like those chicks with the inguinal hornet and scorpion tattoos?

12. Rays fan - Mar 26, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Not at all; just have a lot of confidence in the gov’t to regulate things to the point of insanity, exponentially increase buseaucracy, & ring up stupefying levels of debt.

13. Rays fan - Mar 26, 2010 at 5:45 PM

I also don’t think the thugs who “handle” the prostitutes will go away just because theirs legal prostitution as well.

14. Old Gator - Mar 27, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Apparently they run banks pretty smartly though – at least, Democrats do. They’re about to realize an eight billion dollar profit on the resale of Citibank. Check out today’s news wires and/or Washington Post. I checked out the Post’s online edition today hoping for some advance intelligence on the Gnats to buttress my prayer that the Feesh can stay out of the basement this year, and lo and behold, I see this impending Brobdingnagian profit in the midst of all this hellish “socialism.” Wee-hahh!
    Let’s hope they buy up all the hospitals and pharmaceutical companies next and use those profits to fund national health care. Imagine how much happier pitchers will be when ulnar collateral ligaments can be replaced for free!

All the trade deadline news to know