Jeter wants to be an owner

Mar 26, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT

The whole Jeter-as-owner thing is no longer the exclusive province of the New York tabloid writers. The Captain is totally into it. Except he does not simply want a chunk of non-controlling stock or something. He wants to do it Michael Jordan-style. Says Jeter: “The only interest I have in ownership is to be able to call the shots.
I’ve said that time and time again.”

Of course the only way that’s going to happen is if someone puts Jeter out in front of a large ownership group, in which case he won’t be calling the shots like he wants to, at least totally. Jordan is probably worth a billion dollars or something close to it. Baseball teams cost a half billion dollars these days and Jeter, while not hurting, does not have that kind of scratch, so he’ll need well-monied friends.

1. Charles Gates - Mar 26, 2010 at 9:45 AM

I don’t know how good Jeter would be as an owner. His ego strikes me moreso as an elder Steinbrenner type–the same guy that went out and purchased Cecil Fielder and Randy Johnson on the downside of their careers based on reputation. Jeter was publically dismissive of defensive metrics a few years back when he was cited as the worst defensive SS in baseball (or the AL, I can’t remember). While that could have been a face saving PR move, it does raise doubts about how smart of an owner he would be. On the other hand, wow, he’d be a marketing/revenue raising dynamo. I just don’t know if his ego will know where to draw the line delineating management responsibilities.

2. YankeesfanLen - Mar 26, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Seems like there would be at least a couple of wanna-be “owners” who would pony up and be quiet behind Jeter. So, if the money can be arranged, what team would he go after?Can’t imagine him buying the Pirates or Reds or something and then having a bird because they can’t perform to his standards. Seems like he’d be a pretty frustrated small market owner.

3. BC - Mar 26, 2010 at 10:21 AM

I’d be willing to bet that Jeter DOES have that type of scratch, or at least has enough to be able to finance a deal. I mean, not for the Yankeees, obviously, but I’d bet he has enough to pick off one of the Florida teams.

4. Jason @ IIATMS - Mar 26, 2010 at 10:42 AM

It’s all about the DEBT, baby. Goldman Sachs will be first in line to help Jeter form a consortium of rich folk to make an acquisition…
    Tampa? He is building a Best Buy-sized estate there…
    captcha: icky col

5. Jason @ IIATMS - Mar 26, 2010 at 10:44 AM

While he was dismissive of the stats, he acknowledged them by dedicating an off-season to improving his defensive skills. No one likes to be criticized, so he did enough work to at least temporarily change that “reality”.
    captcha: is linchpin

6. James - Mar 26, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Jeter says he wants to be a hands on decision making owner… but I wonder if he really means he wants to be a General Manager.
    For a guy who has spent his entire life on the playing field, is he more interested in making player moves and going over strategy with his team’s coaches or is he going to be happiest lobbying city council members for tax incentives to build a new ball park, renegotiating license fees with his local Fox Sports affiliate’s accounting department, and haggling with the Teamsters over the pay of the concession workers at the stadium?
    Being an owner is so much more about the nuts and bolts of running a billion dollar business and has very little to with knowing anything specific about the game of baseball itself.
    Sounds to me like Derek really wants Brian Cashman’s job and not Steinbrenner’s.

7. Charles Gates - Mar 26, 2010 at 11:17 AM

I read somewhere, probably here, that the off season improvements were inspired by a conversation with Brian Cashman, who has an understanding of defensive stats. Obviously we can’t say that Jeter wouldn’t have worked as hard in the off season without the talk, but I give part of the credit to Cashman.
    Jeter said something along the lines of, ‘It’s impossible to measure defense statistically.’ Whether he believed this, or tried to shift the blame to measures that most fans don’t understand, it at least raised doubts in my mind about how objective he’d be as an owner.

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act