Mar 26, 2010, 2:40 PM EDT
As if he needed another injury to come back from, Mike Lowell limped off the field today after fouling a ball off his leg and has been diagnosed with a left knee contusion.
Ian Browne of MLB.com notes that “Lowell immediately fell to the ground and appeared to be in considerable pain” before being helped off the field by a trainer and manager Terry Francona.
In coming back from hip and thumb injuries Lowell’s spring training debut was delayed until March 15 and now it’ll be even tougher for the Red Sox to convince teams to trade for him before Opening Day.
Lowell was all but traded to the Rangers for prospect Max Ramirez in December when the need for thumb surgery nixed the swap. Since then the Red Sox signed Adrian Beltre to play third base, so if Lowell isn’t dealt he’s destined for a part-time job backing up the infield corners and perhaps getting some time at designated hitter against lefties. Both the team and Lowell have been pretty open about wanting to find him a new home.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)