Mar 26, 2010, 2:40 PM EST
As if he needed another injury to come back from, Mike Lowell limped off the field today after fouling a ball off his leg and has been diagnosed with a left knee contusion.
Ian Browne of MLB.com notes that “Lowell immediately fell to the ground and appeared to be in considerable pain” before being helped off the field by a trainer and manager Terry Francona.
In coming back from hip and thumb injuries Lowell’s spring training debut was delayed until March 15 and now it’ll be even tougher for the Red Sox to convince teams to trade for him before Opening Day.
Lowell was all but traded to the Rangers for prospect Max Ramirez in December when the need for thumb surgery nixed the swap. Since then the Red Sox signed Adrian Beltre to play third base, so if Lowell isn’t dealt he’s destined for a part-time job backing up the infield corners and perhaps getting some time at designated hitter against lefties. Both the team and Lowell have been pretty open about wanting to find him a new home.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 25
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)