Mar 26, 2010, 2:40 PM EDT
As if he needed another injury to come back from, Mike Lowell limped off the field today after fouling a ball off his leg and has been diagnosed with a left knee contusion.
Ian Browne of MLB.com notes that “Lowell immediately fell to the ground and appeared to be in considerable pain” before being helped off the field by a trainer and manager Terry Francona.
In coming back from hip and thumb injuries Lowell’s spring training debut was delayed until March 15 and now it’ll be even tougher for the Red Sox to convince teams to trade for him before Opening Day.
Lowell was all but traded to the Rangers for prospect Max Ramirez in December when the need for thumb surgery nixed the swap. Since then the Red Sox signed Adrian Beltre to play third base, so if Lowell isn’t dealt he’s destined for a part-time job backing up the infield corners and perhaps getting some time at designated hitter against lefties. Both the team and Lowell have been pretty open about wanting to find him a new home.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 102
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (102)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)