Mar 26, 2010, 2:40 PM EDT
As if he needed another injury to come back from, Mike Lowell limped off the field today after fouling a ball off his leg and has been diagnosed with a left knee contusion.
Ian Browne of MLB.com notes that “Lowell immediately fell to the ground and appeared to be in considerable pain” before being helped off the field by a trainer and manager Terry Francona.
In coming back from hip and thumb injuries Lowell’s spring training debut was delayed until March 15 and now it’ll be even tougher for the Red Sox to convince teams to trade for him before Opening Day.
Lowell was all but traded to the Rangers for prospect Max Ramirez in December when the need for thumb surgery nixed the swap. Since then the Red Sox signed Adrian Beltre to play third base, so if Lowell isn’t dealt he’s destined for a part-time job backing up the infield corners and perhaps getting some time at designated hitter against lefties. Both the team and Lowell have been pretty open about wanting to find him a new home.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 1
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 4
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 52
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 30
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (265)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)