Mar 26, 2010, 5:43 PM EDT
Lou Piniella announced this afternoon that Tom Gorzelanny and Carlos Silva will begin the season in the Cubs’ rotation, with Jeff Samardzija and Sean Marshall both heading to the bullpen.
“Unfortunately, we only have two spots,” Piniella said, which is funny considering that one of those spots is going to a guy who went 5-18 with a 6.81 ERA over the past two seasons and the other is going to a guy with a 4.87 career ERA. “Only” seems like an odd choice of words.
Assuming no further setbacks in his recovery from shoulder surgery and a knee injury Ted Lilly is expected to join the rotation a couple weeks into the season, at which point the Cubs will presumably move Silva into long relief and demote a reliever to Triple-A.
For now left-hander James Russell is slated for the final bullpen spot, so he’d probably be first in line to get the boot, but if Samardzija struggles initially the Cubs may decide to begin grooming him as a starter again at Triple-A. “Samardzija fits in nice in the bullpen with a power arm,” Piniella said. “He’s done that job before, and from there he can gain experience to work his way into the rotation at some time in the future.”
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (196)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)