Mar 26, 2010, 5:43 PM EDT
Lou Piniella announced this afternoon that Tom Gorzelanny and Carlos Silva will begin the season in the Cubs’ rotation, with Jeff Samardzija and Sean Marshall both heading to the bullpen.
“Unfortunately, we only have two spots,” Piniella said, which is funny considering that one of those spots is going to a guy who went 5-18 with a 6.81 ERA over the past two seasons and the other is going to a guy with a 4.87 career ERA. “Only” seems like an odd choice of words.
Assuming no further setbacks in his recovery from shoulder surgery and a knee injury Ted Lilly is expected to join the rotation a couple weeks into the season, at which point the Cubs will presumably move Silva into long relief and demote a reliever to Triple-A.
For now left-hander James Russell is slated for the final bullpen spot, so he’d probably be first in line to get the boot, but if Samardzija struggles initially the Cubs may decide to begin grooming him as a starter again at Triple-A. “Samardzija fits in nice in the bullpen with a power arm,” Piniella said. “He’s done that job before, and from there he can gain experience to work his way into the rotation at some time in the future.”
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 42
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 46
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 50
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)