Pujols-Cardinals talks tabled until winter

Mar 26, 2010, 8:29 AM EDT

Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that “the possibility of
extension for Pujols before ’10 season has evaporated,” with talks being tabled until after this season.

This is not really Earth-shattering news. Talks hadn’t really even gotten going yet, and everyone was well-aware that Pujols had no desire to negotiate during the season. And of course, he’s locked up for 2010 and the Cardinals hold a cheap-as-chips $16 million option on Pujols for 2011.  There’s basically no reason to think that the Cardinals and Pujols won’t get it together eventually.

But it’s Friday, so let’s have some fun:

FOX Pujols cover.bmp.jpgThat pic never gets old.  I need to brush up on some Photoshop so I can make one of him on every team.  How awesome would it be to see him wearing a Royals jersey? Or the Mets?

1. lar @ wezen-ball - Mar 26, 2010 at 8:54 AM

You know, I heard from some inside sources that the Brewers had had “talks” about trading Prince Fielder to the Cards for Albert Pujols…

2. Jonny5 - Mar 26, 2010 at 9:04 AM

I remember before Lee was signed by Philly people were doing that to Halladay with the Phillies gear. Now it’s for real. I love it!

3. Shely - Mar 26, 2010 at 9:07 AM

No, the trade was actually, the Brewers for Pujols I think. That is the only trade the birds will accept.

4. Levi Stahl - Mar 26, 2010 at 9:10 AM

How about in a Kintetsu Buffalos jersey? Imagine the havoc he could wreak in the Japanese league–and what a mindbending experience it would be to have a star of his caliber decide to go play there.
    I’d rather he stay a Cardinal, mind you, but between the Nippon Ham Fighters and the Yankees . . .

5. Charles Gates - Mar 26, 2010 at 9:13 AM

‘Tabled’ is one of those corporate words that just irks me. Along the same lines would be ‘putting something in the parking lot’ until we have more time to discuss it. The awkward phrasing seems to match perfectly with how odd Pujols looks in that picture, fake smile and all.
    And that headline, followed by the ‘I know you just jumped out of your chair but I just did it for a reaction’ subtitle should have been kept on the table in the parking lot of someone else’s office.

6. BC - Mar 26, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Here’s hoping he hits the market and the Mets offer him 100,000,000,000,000,000,0000000 over 30 years. Mets in 2012! Woo hoo!

7. Jason @ IIATMS - Mar 26, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Pujols “deserves” to be in NY, on the Yankees. Yanks fans “deserve” to have Pujols in pinstripes.
    /end sarcasm
    captchya: mediator worth

8. lawdogusc - Mar 26, 2010 at 12:12 PM

The Cards would still demand a franchise to be named later to seal the deal.

9. Shely - Mar 26, 2010 at 3:09 PM

You be right on that one!

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win