Quote of the Day: Elijah Dukes

Mar 26, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT

I really want to tell the fans of DC, Jim Bowden and Mike Rizzo thanks a
lot for helping me out in many ways. I really grew up a lot because of
those two guys. I also want to give a hug to Harolyn Cardozo and Willie
Harris for the time that I needed people the most. A special thanks to
them.

– Elijah Dukes, giving a statement to the All Nats All the Time blog at MLB.com.  Your move, Pittsburgh Pirates.

1. Bear - Mar 26, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Just read a Heyman article on si.com, his notes mentioned that Dukes had a sudden loss of power. I do remember after his incident with his ex-gf, she accused him of using steroids. His talent could have been a product of PEDs all along.

2. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Mar 26, 2010 at 12:30 PM

His talent could have been a product of PEDs all along.

It’s a possiblity, but with only 240 games of MLB experience it’s hard to tell. Take a look at his page from fangraphs (below), the numbers are all over the place.
    First year ISO of 201, then a high of 214, all the way down to 143

3. Wooden U. Lykteneau - Mar 26, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Let me just say his: In four-plus seasons of watching the Nationals’ Hi-A affiliate, Elijah Dukes is the only position player that I’ve seen that came to play on a rehab assignment and did not dog it.

4. Joey B - Mar 26, 2010 at 12:59 PM

It was a nice thing to say. It could help his image quite a bit.

5. Old Gator - Mar 26, 2010 at 11:45 PM

I agree. Let’s cut the guy some slack – praise Bob – and hope he gets his head straighter than Doc Gooden seems to have been able to. That message reminds me, in a positive sense, of the final scene of Amores Perros, even as Wooden U reports that Dukes didn’t dog it.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2486)