Mar 26, 2010, 12:46 PM EDT
As a fat guy it amused me when the Dodgers re-signed Ronnie Belliard two months ago and included a clause that guaranteed his one-year, $825,000 contract only if the 5-foot-9 infielder weighed in at 209 pounds or less at some point during spring training.
Sure enough Belliard weighed in at 208 pounds yesterday and earned himself $825,000, but reaching the $250,000 in additional incentives may prove more difficult because it sounds like he’ll begin the season in a bench role despite hitting .351 with five homers in 24 games for the Dodgers down the stretch last year.
Blake DeWitt is expected to be the Opening Day second baseman, leaving Belliard as a pinch-hitter and primary backup at three infield spots. Oh, and just in case NBC Sports decides to put a similar clause into my next contract … well, it was nice knowing you all.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)