Mar 26, 2010, 12:46 PM EDT
As a fat guy it amused me when the Dodgers re-signed Ronnie Belliard two months ago and included a clause that guaranteed his one-year, $825,000 contract only if the 5-foot-9 infielder weighed in at 209 pounds or less at some point during spring training.
Sure enough Belliard weighed in at 208 pounds yesterday and earned himself $825,000, but reaching the $250,000 in additional incentives may prove more difficult because it sounds like he’ll begin the season in a bench role despite hitting .351 with five homers in 24 games for the Dodgers down the stretch last year.
Blake DeWitt is expected to be the Opening Day second baseman, leaving Belliard as a pinch-hitter and primary backup at three infield spots. Oh, and just in case NBC Sports decides to put a similar clause into my next contract … well, it was nice knowing you all.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)