Mar 26, 2010, 12:46 PM EDT
As a fat guy it amused me when the Dodgers re-signed Ronnie Belliard two months ago and included a clause that guaranteed his one-year, $825,000 contract only if the 5-foot-9 infielder weighed in at 209 pounds or less at some point during spring training.
Sure enough Belliard weighed in at 208 pounds yesterday and earned himself $825,000, but reaching the $250,000 in additional incentives may prove more difficult because it sounds like he’ll begin the season in a bench role despite hitting .351 with five homers in 24 games for the Dodgers down the stretch last year.
Blake DeWitt is expected to be the Opening Day second baseman, leaving Belliard as a pinch-hitter and primary backup at three infield spots. Oh, and just in case NBC Sports decides to put a similar clause into my next contract … well, it was nice knowing you all.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)