The Upper Deck comes down at Yankee Stadium

Mar 26, 2010, 4:15 PM EST

The below video (wait until the one minute mark) will either make you really sad, or else it will make you feel like you felt when they pulled down Emperor Palpatine’s statue at the end of that enhanced version of Jedi.  Wait, that made me sad too because no damn way no Empire is going to get beat by no Ewoks.  That’s probably best left as the subject of another post, however.

Oh, and Han shot first, OK?

1. Simon DelMonte - Mar 26, 2010 at 4:26 PM

So if the Yankees are the evil empire of baseball, what team is the Ewoks?

2. scatterbrian - Mar 26, 2010 at 4:40 PM

“Oh, and Han shot first, OK?”
    Thank you. I would much rather have Han Solo go down as a cold-blooded killer than somehow making lasers dodge-able in the Star Wars world.
    Captcha: force cameoing

3. Ralph Kramden - Mar 26, 2010 at 5:09 PM

I am no longer a Yankee fan (gave them up in the 70s), but I saw my first games at the Stadium. My first sight of the bright green grass on that field is a vivid memory that has lasted my all my life.
    I lost a lot of that Yankee Stadium nostalgia with the remodeling, but I’m a bit sad.

4. Will - Mar 26, 2010 at 9:45 PM

The Marlins? They certainly were the little guy taking out the big bad Yanks in 2003.

5. Old Gator - Mar 26, 2010 at 11:33 PM

I have all kinds of trouble envisioning my beloved Feesh as Ewoks – except for the Chihuahua, David Samson, who is about the right size and already speaks gibberish most of the time. I could, however, envision the premature rookies, EYPs, Rule 5 scrapheap pickups, out-of-position players and comeback kids of the team as that ragtag assortment of space scows, decommissioned liberty starships, tramp beamers and Mad Max speedsters of the rebel fleet.
    But then I hate Ewoks anyway. Almost as much as Meerkats. The wretched lilliputian fleabags remind me of what the Witch of the North so perspicaciously referred to as “foul little dogs.” Even so, watching the Borg grandstand come down did remind me a wee bit of the explosion of the half-built Death Star.

6. Ouch - Mar 27, 2010 at 9:20 AM

Ouch! I’ve sat in those exact stands a few times…it actually does hurt a bit even though the new stadium has, to say the least, been “a good run so far”.
    There was magic in that old crusty stadium though.

7. Old Gator - Mar 27, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Magic? More like the dark side at work.

8. Jack Meoffer - Mar 27, 2010 at 11:05 AM

The sadness people feel for Yankee Stadium is the total opposite for Shea. Shea was the dump of all time dumps. You could have a seat right behind 1st base yet it was pointed towards the centerfield fence. You would have a backache within 2 innings. And the few, the very few, who said Shea was a great place are either totally blind or have an affinity for crappy built stadiums.

9. Old Gator - Mar 27, 2010 at 12:13 PM

I agree. I owned a wonderfully positioned field box just behind first base and had to bring one of those seat back cushions from my car every time I sat there. I held the seats in the names of a succession of faux corporations – Consolidated Coprolite, Amplexus Corpse, HeLa Funding – for years and years, posturepedically challenged as they were, and saw all kinds of great baseball moments there: Cleon Jones’ relay of the ball-off-the-wall to Garret to Hodges to nail Richie Zisk at the plate in 1973; the fistfight between Bud Harrelson and Pete Rose at second base that same year; Willie Mays’ last game, and one of the greatest moments in all of baseball history, Mookie Wilson’s dribbler appearing magically under Bill Buckner’s glove and bouncing on down the line. Much magic indeed. But at least Shea never had to suffer the indignity of seeing its real name sold away and replaced with some actual, rectal corporate name. It remained named after someone until the day it was reduced to powder. Citifield. Ugh. I don’t care how nice the place is; its name will always keep it soulless.

10. Darth Vader - Mar 27, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Dark magic is still magic.

11. Old Gator - Mar 27, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Sure, until you realize that Sidious never explained how to stop the goddamned broomsticks.

12. Glenn - Mar 27, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Sad but progress is right around the cordner . They did such a good job replicating the new Stadium that reminders will always be there.
    Looking at the old steel that came from the back made me wonder if anyone reading these posts were alive when the staidum was built. Not likely.

13. LT - Mar 27, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Isn’t this more like if the empire were to ditch a rusty deathstar for a new and improved one?

14. Ryan - Mar 29, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Now if they would just do the same to the stadium across the street…
    captcha: metropolitan houdini -lafff

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5310)