Worst Opening Day Starters of All Time

Mar 26, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT

Thumbnail image for Padilla Dodgers.jpgIn honor of Joe Torre starting Vicente Padilla on Opening Day (now official!), lar at Wezen-Ball gives us a list of the worst Opening Day starters of all time. Two thoughts:

1. I am absolutely tickled that Jack Morris makes the list. Take that Morris-for-the-Hall-of-Fame truthers!

2. I am happy to see that Rick Mahler did not make the list. There was a stretch there when he was the official Braves Opening Day guy. I think he did it five or six times, which was quite an indictment of the Braves mid-80s pitching. The fact that I actually looked forward to Rick Mahler starting was an indictment of my Chuck Tanner Braves’ Stockholm Syndrome as well.

Finally, it’s probably worth noting that Padilla’s Opening Day start comes on the road against the Pirates, so it’s not like the pageantry of the opening bow in Dodger Stadium is sullied or anything.  Why a team from Southern California is playing on the road in the first week of April and a team from snow-and-cold prone western Pennsylvania is at home is another matter entirely.

1. Jonny5 - Mar 26, 2010 at 12:24 PM

I’m sure opening day in pitt had all to do with Padilla as opening day starter.

2. Richard Dansky - Mar 26, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Because teams from LA want those lucrative midsummer home dates more than they want those early April dates, most probably.

3. GimmeSomeSteel - Mar 26, 2010 at 1:22 PM

How could he omit Ron Villone for the Pirates a while back?

4. James - Mar 26, 2010 at 2:56 PM

“Why a team from Southern California is playing on the road in the first week of April and a team from snow-and-cold prone western Pennsylvania is at home is another matter entirely.”
    Today in Huntington Beach, California I just got home from walking my two dogs on the beach and it is 70 degrees with the sun shining (i even think I got a bit of a sunburn). But in Pittsburgh, PA it’s 49, cloudy and supposed to rain all weekend.
    Not bragging, just stating is all…

5. smokehouse - Mar 26, 2010 at 7:42 PM

I’ll take the cold and bad weather in PA and keep my money in my wallet and now bow to the Cali PC crowd. I wouldn’t visit that socialist state.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto