Mar 27, 2010, 2:20 PM EST
Russell Branyan, who has been sidelined for the entire exhibition schedule because of a herniated disk in his back, hopes to play in a minor league game as soon as Monday.
“If you look at Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, that’s only three days,
but, in the scheme of things, that’s a lot of time,” Branyan said.
“Monday means a lot more than Wednesday, as far as getting ready for
The clock is ticking on Branyan, who just participated in outdoor batting practice for the first time all spring on Saturday. If all goes well on Monday, Branyan could play in a Cactus League game on Tuesday, but that’s assuming his nagging back condition won’t step in.
Branyan’s progress over the next week will have a significant impact on how the Indians’ Opening Day roster will play out. If Branyan is ready, Matt LaPorta will move from first base to left field, while prospect outfielder Michael Brantley will be ticketed for Triple-A Indianapolis.
Sort of makes you wonder why a rebuilding team signed such a roster headache in the first place. Rest assured, even if he is ready, Brantley will eventually see some time in the major leagues this season when Branyan inevitably hits the disabled list.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)