Mar 27, 2010, 2:20 PM EDT
Russell Branyan, who has been sidelined for the entire exhibition schedule because of a herniated disk in his back, hopes to play in a minor league game as soon as Monday.
“If you look at Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, that’s only three days,
but, in the scheme of things, that’s a lot of time,” Branyan said.
“Monday means a lot more than Wednesday, as far as getting ready for
The clock is ticking on Branyan, who just participated in outdoor batting practice for the first time all spring on Saturday. If all goes well on Monday, Branyan could play in a Cactus League game on Tuesday, but that’s assuming his nagging back condition won’t step in.
Branyan’s progress over the next week will have a significant impact on how the Indians’ Opening Day roster will play out. If Branyan is ready, Matt LaPorta will move from first base to left field, while prospect outfielder Michael Brantley will be ticketed for Triple-A Indianapolis.
Sort of makes you wonder why a rebuilding team signed such a roster headache in the first place. Rest assured, even if he is ready, Brantley will eventually see some time in the major leagues this season when Branyan inevitably hits the disabled list.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 3
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 20
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)