Mar 27, 2010, 9:25 AM EDT
Brian Roberts was 0-for-3 with three strikeouts in his Grapefruit League debut against the Twins on Friday night. The 32-year-old second baseman had been slowed since the beginning of camp due to a slight herniated disk in his lower back.
Roberts told Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com that his performance at the plate was “obviously, not stellar” but that’s not completely unexpected with a layoff of several months.
“My last at-bat, actually I started to finally feel a lot more
comfortable in the box. My first two, I was pretty clueless,” Roberts
said. “But that’s the way it is every year. It doesn’t take long; it
only takes a couple of at-bats just to kind of get your timing going,
see the velocity. That’s the biggest thing; you just haven’t seen
velocity up until this point.”
Manager Dave Trembley said he could “care less” about the results, as long as Roberts continues to swing the bat without any pain. The O’s skipper stated that “he had every reason to be confident” that Roberts will be ready for Opening Day. Provided Roberts doesn’t feel anything in his back in the coming days, he should only need a few more games to prepare for the new season.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 7
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 5
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)