Mar 27, 2010, 12:41 PM EST
One of the spring’s great dramas has finally reached its resolution, reports Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun. Drumroll, everyone:
“Jason Frasor was my closer last year and he hasn’t done anything to
lose the job,” manager Cito Gaston said Friday afternoon.
So, that’s that. Frasor was duking it out with Scott Downs and Kevin Gregg for the job this spring. The 32-year-old Frasor was 11-for-14 in save opportunities last season and notched 17 saves for the Blue Jays way back in 2004. Be sure to grab him in your fantasy leagues, people.
Interestingly, Elliott notes that Downs and Gregg are both still candidates to be traded. Although Gregg was signed to a one-year, $2.75 million contract in February, he can still be traded if he gives his permission. The Twins, who are currently seeking a replacement for Joe Nathan, had a scout in attendance during Friday’s game, according to Elliott.
With that out of the way, here’s my favorite tidbit from Elliott’s piece. Frasor said that he has a large container filled with signed baseballs over the years, ranging from Dave Stieb to Nolan Ryan. But he has a rather strict criteria for who gets to stay in the container.
“Anyone accused of cheating like Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte I’ve
taken out of the container,” Frasor said. “I gave them to my dog, Kosmo,
to chew on.”
And with that, we have an early favorite for “Quote of the Day.”
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 26
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)