Mar 27, 2010, 12:41 PM EDT
One of the spring’s great dramas has finally reached its resolution, reports Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun. Drumroll, everyone:
“Jason Frasor was my closer last year and he hasn’t done anything to
lose the job,” manager Cito Gaston said Friday afternoon.
So, that’s that. Frasor was duking it out with Scott Downs and Kevin Gregg for the job this spring. The 32-year-old Frasor was 11-for-14 in save opportunities last season and notched 17 saves for the Blue Jays way back in 2004. Be sure to grab him in your fantasy leagues, people.
Interestingly, Elliott notes that Downs and Gregg are both still candidates to be traded. Although Gregg was signed to a one-year, $2.75 million contract in February, he can still be traded if he gives his permission. The Twins, who are currently seeking a replacement for Joe Nathan, had a scout in attendance during Friday’s game, according to Elliott.
With that out of the way, here’s my favorite tidbit from Elliott’s piece. Frasor said that he has a large container filled with signed baseballs over the years, ranging from Dave Stieb to Nolan Ryan. But he has a rather strict criteria for who gets to stay in the container.
“Anyone accused of cheating like Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte I’ve
taken out of the container,” Frasor said. “I gave them to my dog, Kosmo,
to chew on.”
And with that, we have an early favorite for “Quote of the Day.”
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 7
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 196
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (197)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (93)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)