Mar 27, 2010, 6:33 PM EDT
According to Gregg Bell of the Associated Press, Mariners left-hander Cliff Lee underwent platelet-rich plasma
injection therapy on his injured abdomen in Seattle this weekend.
The procedure has been successful in helping athletes recover from ailments like tennis elbow and hamstring strains, but using it to help heal abdominal strains is mostly unheard of. Lee underwent a similar kind of therapy when first diagnosed with the injury, though, so it’s not like the M’s are traveling down an unfamiliar road.
The 31-year-old southpaw went 14-13 with a 3.22 ERA and a 1.22 WHIP last season for the Indians and Phillies. He’s doubtful for the start of the regular season, but should be pitching in a Seattle uniform by the end of April.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 49
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 25
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)