Mar 27, 2010, 4:10 PM EST
Here’s a minor transaction, as the Rangers have acquired infielder Andres Blanco from the Cubs for a player to be named later or cash considerations.
Blanco, who turns 26 in April, batted .252/.303/.341 with one home run and 12 RBI in 123 at-bats for the Cubs last season. He was out of options and from what I understand, he didn’t figure into the team’s plans this season. With experience at second base and shortstop in the majors, he could hang on as the utility type Texas has been looking for since they voided Khalil Greene’s contract in February.
Probably the most significant thing to come out of this, Carrie Muskat of MLB.com believes that the trade of Blanco could open a spot on the roster for Kevin Millar and Chad Tracy, both of whom are non-roster invitees.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 10
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 279
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (279)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)