Mar 27, 2010, 10:31 AM EDT
Tim Wakefield spoke for many of us the other day when he said he was “very curious” about the team’s plans for their starting rotation. Well, manager Terry Francona finally revealed on Friday that Josh Beckett, John Lackey, Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz and Wakefield will all start the season in the rotation, according to Amalie Benjamin of the Boston Globe.
With three days off in the first 10 days of the season, the team could have easily gone without a fifth starter until April 18. But now Francona has the luxury of tinkering with his starters in the early part of the schedule, such as using Beckett twice before Buchholz makes his first start of the season.
“We thought about a lot of things,” Francona said. “We’re trying to
balance present, future, performance, winning, and I think we’re all
comfortable with where we got to. There are some things that could
change, with weather and things like that. How must rest is too much?
How much is not enough? I think we’re pretty comfortable with where we
The first three spots of the rotation were locks, obviously, but most of the discussion this spring has been about the 43-year-old Wakefield, who has been very effective after offseason back surgery and Clay Buchholz, who has a 10.80 ERA in 6 2/3 innings of exhibition action.
They’ll be evaluated very carefully over the first few weeks of the season, as Daisuke Matsuzaka, who has been bothered by neck and back issues this spring, could be ready to return by the end of April.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 41
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 50
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 72
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 93
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)