Red Sox won't give Beckett more than four years

Mar 27, 2010, 9:42 PM EDT

beckett headshot.JPGGordon Edes of ESPN Boston heard from an insider source Saturday that the Red Sox will not give more than a four-year deal to right-handed starter Josh Beckett.

It’s not shocking news.  The Red Sox dolled out a five-year, $82.5 million contract to John Lackey this offseason and a six-year, $52 million deal to Daisuke Matsuzaka in 2006.  Boston GM Theo Epstein is smart enough to know that locking up multiple aging starting pitchers is a bad idea and will avoid that path with the soon-to-be 30-year-old Beckett.  If Edes’ source is correct, it’s fair to wonder whether the right-hander will be moving on to another club once winter hits.

Beckett, who went 17-6 with a 3.86 ERA, 1.19 WHIP and 199 strikeouts last year, is entering the final season of a three-year, $30 million extension.  There are some concerns about the durability of his right shoulder.

1. GimmeSomeSteel - Mar 27, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Phil Hughes goes to the bullpen next year. :)
    Captcha: “He advil”; seems appropriate for a pitcher.

2. BigTop - Mar 27, 2010 at 10:01 PM

signing any pitcher to longer than a 3 year deal is crazy. possibility of injury and the inevitable up-and-down pitchers go through season to season makes anything longer than that risky.

3. dp - Mar 27, 2010 at 10:26 PM

I was hoping they would, so they could get stuck with him like they have with a few of their other so-called stars. This guys best days are behind him. I would still call him a good pitcher, but I wouldn’t call him your stopper on that team. I would turn to Lackey or Lester, barring injuries. I think they learned something with Matsuzaka, they took a real beating on that move. 52 million just on the contract , but close to that amount just to get that bum.All Beckett has to do is start saying he would consider signing with the Yankees, and Theo will offer him a ten year contract.

4. Old Gator - Mar 27, 2010 at 11:06 PM

The Borg must be laying out their cyberaccessory kits for this one already. Even so, it’s a new mentality over at the Death Star. They may pay him more but I somehow doubt if they’d give him five years either.

5. yuppers - Mar 28, 2010 at 12:10 AM

Bob was a mutant rodent

6. yankeh8r - Mar 28, 2010 at 12:48 AM

7. Big Harold - Mar 28, 2010 at 2:50 AM

“… I wouldn’t call him your stopper on that team. I would turn to Lackey or Lester,…”
    That’s like saying that Beckett is no better, if even as good as Buenett. While Beckett has been making his living against the likes of the Yankees, Lackey hasn’t proved a thing in the AL East as of yet nor has he done anything for the RS ever. And, he has his own injury issues besides being a couple of years older than Beckett. Lester is a good young pitcher but he’s yet to accomplish what Becket has. As I remember the last time he faced the Yankees, he didn’t make it out of the 4th inning. As a Yankee fan, assuming each was on top of their game the pitcher I’d like least to face the Yankees is Beckett. If Gorilla Boy thinks he’s resigning Beckett for less in terms of dollars or years than they just gave Lackey I hope he has a “Plan B” up his sleeve, .. check that I hope he doesn’t.
    If the RS screw this up and Beckett walks, .. then they will officially enter the “rebuilding” period that they’ve been heading for the last few years. Or, as Yankee fans will refer to them, .. “same old RS”.

8. Joey Bj - Mar 28, 2010 at 8:28 AM

“He’ll get a nice 4-year deal and he’ll stay. Threatening Theo doesn’t work period. Theo wouldn’t give in to pedro, damon, manny etc and wouldn’t pay more for burnett, tex, rocket and others in the past to keep them from the yanks so it certainly won’t work for beckett.”
    I’m not sure the rationale is the same. Pedro and Damon had one year left at their positions. Mueller not even that. I’m not seeing a lot of difference between him and Lackey in terms of longevity. Of course, he’s privvy to a lot more info than I am.
    How about this, if Buchholz and Dice have big seasons, maybe Beckett only gets four, and if they bomb, then Beckett gets five.

9. John Pileggi - Mar 28, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Epstein has a feel for the game and where to spend ownership’s dollars.

10. dp - Mar 28, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Harold, while I agree on a few of your takes , I think he’ll ask for at least what Lackey got. If he has a big year then he has something to bargain with, if he doesn’t, I agree with another writer that Epstein will not be threatened , and he’ll let him walk. Epstein always seems to make a trade for a front line pitcher, or free agent. Maybe they’ll package the roidhead (no popi) and Lowell for some more retread pitcher’s like they have in the last few days. I bet those moves really got the Yankees attention. LOL

11. Nasty Boy - Mar 28, 2010 at 11:07 AM

He sure does, how about the last two losing pitchers he signed.

12. jackie boy - Mar 28, 2010 at 11:19 AM

I’ll tell you one thing, if he was with the Yankees he’d be feeling for his hat and coat after the Matsuzaka signing. What a BUM. I’ve heard reports of close to 100 million, with the rights to sign him ,and 50+million contract. I’ll tell you what, with that kind of feel for the game, you should be looking for another job.

13. dp - Mar 28, 2010 at 12:25 PM

He’d be feeling for his ass ,after I kicked it for some of his signings.

14. smokehouse - Mar 28, 2010 at 1:20 PM

There are teams out there that will give him four years and why not? Pitchers of that quality are not a dime a dozen. He could take a contender to a winner and October play. I hate Boston AND New York. Go Phillies!

15. Nasty Boy - Mar 28, 2010 at 1:59 PM

I’m sure there are, all I’m saying is while he’s still good , but he’s not on the up side ,Remember , he’s been on top of his game since the 2004 series, and he’s no Nolan Ryan, they only come around once in a life time . Again he’s still real good. I don’t see Epstein going for more than he says he will. Hating Boston, that’s fine with me, but your going to see the Yankees, not Boston in the series.

16. Ape Watcher - Mar 28, 2010 at 2:28 PM

I love these Red Sox threads. dp and Nasty Boy try to pass off their incoherent, fanboy ramblings as reasoned, fully formed intellectual constructs, all the while slobbering on their monitors and dragging their knuckles across their keyboards.
    Splat! What’s that? Nasty Boy just threw his poo at the screen. No, never mind. It was one of his posts.
    Ugh. Yankees good. Red Sucks bad. Get it? Red Sucks. Har har har. Now where did I leave my bananas?

17. Nasty Boy - Mar 28, 2010 at 3:28 PM

I know where your banana’s are ape watcher,in your rectum, oh excuse me , that’s your mouth. Perhaps another disgruntled red sucks jerk.

18. Grammar Police - Mar 28, 2010 at 3:51 PM

“I know where your banana’s are”
    The plural of banana is bananas.

19. BP - Mar 28, 2010 at 4:12 PM

If Theo wants to give 31 year old Lackey a five year 82.5 million dollar contract and a washed up Dicey 52 mill, lose some power hitters, lose Beckett because he values Lackey more than him, and then is rated as one of the top GMs is funny. Boston better have some minor leaguers coming up or their in trouble. If they don’t play any better than last year Theo’s halo may be tarnished. Why would Beckett accept less money than Lackey.

20. Joey B - Mar 29, 2010 at 9:13 AM

“While Beckett has been making his living against the likes of the Yankees, Lackey hasn’t proved a thing in the AL East as of yet nor has he done anything for the RS ever.”
    Nothing hasn’t proven a thing v the ALE? How about 25-15 with a 3.62?

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3021)