Mar 27, 2010, 9:42 PM EDT
Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston heard from an insider source Saturday that the Red Sox will not give more than a four-year deal to right-handed starter Josh Beckett.
It’s not shocking news. The Red Sox dolled out a five-year, $82.5 million contract to John Lackey this offseason and a six-year, $52 million deal to Daisuke Matsuzaka in 2006. Boston GM Theo Epstein is smart enough to know that locking up multiple aging starting pitchers is a bad idea and will avoid that path with the soon-to-be 30-year-old Beckett. If Edes’ source is correct, it’s fair to wonder whether the right-hander will be moving on to another club once winter hits.
Beckett, who went 17-6 with a 3.86 ERA, 1.19 WHIP and 199 strikeouts last year, is entering the final season of a three-year, $30 million extension. There are some concerns about the durability of his right shoulder.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)