Mar 28, 2010, 4:15 PM EST
UPDATE: Baggarly hears that Cain’s salary will remain at $4.5 million this season, but jumps to around $8 million in 2011 and north of $15 million for 2012. All things considered, it’s a great deal for the Giants.
3:38pm: The San Francisco Chronicle’s Henry Schulman reports that it’s a three-year deal. Cain is getting a restructured sum this year and a raise on his $6.25 million option in 2011. Financial terms aren’t yet available, though it’s safe to guess that he will also be making big bucks in 2012.
3:20pm: Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News hears that the Giants will announce an extension for right-hander Matt Cain on Sunday afternoon.
It has been a busy few days in Giants camp, with left-handed setup man Jeremy Affeldt landing a two-year, $9.5 million contract extension on Wednesday and 28-year-old closer Brian Wilson agreeing to a new deal just a few days later.
It’s not clear what kind of money Cain will receive. He’s just 25 years of age and went 14-8 last season with a 2.89 ERA and 1.18 WHIP, so we’d have to think his asking price was fairly high in negotiations. The righty is entering the final season of a four-year, $9 million extension signed back in 2007. That deal included a $6.25 million club option for 2011.
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 76
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano (84)