Mar 28, 2010, 4:15 PM EDT
UPDATE: Baggarly hears that Cain’s salary will remain at $4.5 million this season, but jumps to around $8 million in 2011 and north of $15 million for 2012. All things considered, it’s a great deal for the Giants.
3:38pm: The San Francisco Chronicle’s Henry Schulman reports that it’s a three-year deal. Cain is getting a restructured sum this year and a raise on his $6.25 million option in 2011. Financial terms aren’t yet available, though it’s safe to guess that he will also be making big bucks in 2012.
3:20pm: Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News hears that the Giants will announce an extension for right-hander Matt Cain on Sunday afternoon.
It has been a busy few days in Giants camp, with left-handed setup man Jeremy Affeldt landing a two-year, $9.5 million contract extension on Wednesday and 28-year-old closer Brian Wilson agreeing to a new deal just a few days later.
It’s not clear what kind of money Cain will receive. He’s just 25 years of age and went 14-8 last season with a 2.89 ERA and 1.18 WHIP, so we’d have to think his asking price was fairly high in negotiations. The righty is entering the final season of a four-year, $9 million extension signed back in 2007. That deal included a $6.25 million club option for 2011.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (116)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)