Mar 28, 2010, 4:15 PM EST
UPDATE: Baggarly hears that Cain’s salary will remain at $4.5 million this season, but jumps to around $8 million in 2011 and north of $15 million for 2012. All things considered, it’s a great deal for the Giants.
3:38pm: The San Francisco Chronicle’s Henry Schulman reports that it’s a three-year deal. Cain is getting a restructured sum this year and a raise on his $6.25 million option in 2011. Financial terms aren’t yet available, though it’s safe to guess that he will also be making big bucks in 2012.
3:20pm: Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News hears that the Giants will announce an extension for right-hander Matt Cain on Sunday afternoon.
It has been a busy few days in Giants camp, with left-handed setup man Jeremy Affeldt landing a two-year, $9.5 million contract extension on Wednesday and 28-year-old closer Brian Wilson agreeing to a new deal just a few days later.
It’s not clear what kind of money Cain will receive. He’s just 25 years of age and went 14-8 last season with a 2.89 ERA and 1.18 WHIP, so we’d have to think his asking price was fairly high in negotiations. The righty is entering the final season of a four-year, $9 million extension signed back in 2007. That deal included a $6.25 million club option for 2011.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)